Two of the most popular Mexican boxers in history will face off for a third time in exhibition action on Friday at Las Torres de Tijuana Hotel in Tijuana when Julio Cesar Chavez meets Jorge "Travieso" Arce. Chavez's son, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., will also be in action on the card, though the former middleweight champion will be fighting at a level lower than may be expected for a former world champion with 51 career victories.
Chavez Sr. is arguably the greatest Mexican boxer in history, retiring with a record of 107-6-2 after a career that saw him win world championships in three weight classes. Arce may not have reached the same "all-time great" status as Chavez Sr., but was one of Mexico's most popular fighters during his career, compiling a 64-8-2 and world titles in three weight classes while being one of the best action fighters of his era. The fight will be a three-round exhibition bout.
Respect box? Subscribe to our podcast -- State of Combat with Brian Campbell -- where we take an in-depth look at the world of boxing each week.
Chavez Jr. (51-4, 33 KO) will be making his first appearance in the ring since losing to Daniel Jacobs last December when he quit on his stool after badly missing weight. Three of his four professional losses have come since 2015, including a resounding shutout against Canelo Alvarez in 2017.
How to watch Chavez vs Arce
Date: Friday, Sept. 25 | Start Time: 10 p.m. ET
Location: Las Torres de Tijuana Hotel -- Tijuana, Mexico
Stream: DAZN (Spanish broadcast only)
Chavez vs. Arce card
- Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. vs. Julio Arce, exhibition
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. Mario Abel Cazares, light heavyweights
- Yamileth Mercado vs. Irasema Rayas, featherweights
- Bryan Flores vs. Carlos Encinas, middleweights
- Misael Gracia vs. Jose Alejandro Burgos, super flyweights
- Karim Arce vs. David Martino, super bantamweights
- Jose Luis Castillo Romero vs. Misael Isai Ponce Galaz, featherweights