Remembering Muhammad Ali, 'The Greatest of All Time,' by his 10 greatest quotes
One of the best ways to remember a larger-than-life legend like Muhammad Ali is by the words he spoke so eloquently
Muhammad Ali has died late Friday night at the age of 74. The legendary boxer left a lasting impression on the boxing community and sports world in his time on Earth.
Perhaps his most lasting legacy on athletes young and old, fans and critics, and future generations that will read about Ali on the internet, are the words he lived by.
Ali had an uncanny ability to string together metaphors and inspiring quotes that stand the test of time. He spoke with a poet's precision and left us shocked and impressed when he was done talking.
These are 10 of the best quotes Muhammad Ali spoke during his storied career and accomplished life.
1. "I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Rumble young man, rumble."
2. "Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
3. "I've wrestled with alligators, I've tussled with a whale, I done handcuffed lightning and thrown thunder in jail."
4. "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
5. "If my mind can conceive it and my heart can believe it, then I can achieve it."
6. "He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life."
7. "If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you."
8. "Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even."
9. "I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
10. "Don't count the days; make the days count."
The five-time amateur boxing champ opens up on 'A Fighter's Chance'
The Ukrainian boxing legend, along with eight others, escaped the incident without harm
Charlo wants his WBC title match and has no desire to wait for it after obliterating Cota
Charlo is looking for vengeance in the form of a late replacement opponent on Sunday night
From the heavyweight renaissance to what Canelo does next, there's plenty of burning questions...
Business is booming so far as the year in boxing rolls along