College Basketball Podcast: Is Zion Williamson the leading POY candidate? Is the COY John Beilein?
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander discuss the top players, coaches, surprises and disappointments so far this season
Nothing of national relevance has happened since we recorded Sunday night's episode of the Eye On College Basketball Podcast. So Matt Norlander and I decided to use Wednesday's episode to take stock of things as conference play for most leagues sits right around the corner.
Who should be POY right now?
What about COY?
We just bounced from category to category. But first we traded brief Christmas stories and detailed the joys and challenges of playing Santa for young children because, yes, there are both joys and challenges.
After that, the conversation went like this:
- 5:50: We each think Duke's Zion Williamson should be a top-three Player of the Year candidate right now. Norlander's other two candidates are Murray State's Ja Morant and Marquette's Markus Howard. My other two are Tennessee's Grant Williams and Kansas' Dedric Lawson.
- 15:05: We both believe Michigan's John Beilein should be a top-three Coach of the Year candidate right now. Norlander's other two candidates are Furman's Bob Richey and Buffalo's Nate Oats. My other two are Nevada's Eric Musselman and Texas Tech's Chris Beard.
- 21:01: Norlander says Oklahoma or Texas Tech is the biggest surprise so far this season. Both are good choices. But I went with Buffalo -- which is 11-1 with wins at Syracuse and West Virginia. And while explaining why I went with Buffalo, I also explained why Buffalo isn't currently in the Top 25 And 1.
- 31:08: Norlander said the entire Pac-12 (except for Arizona State) is the biggest disappointment so far this season. I explained why, from a team perspective, it could be West Virginia or UCLA. But I actually think it's Syracuse.
- 38:34: We closed by updating our national-championship predictions. Norlander went with Gonzaga. And then I explained why I'm going to keep it simple and ride with Mike Krzyzewski's Duke Blue Devils.
The latest Eye on College Basketball podcast is below. Give it a listen. And if you're not already subscribed, please subscribe to the podcast via iTunes. If you are already subscribed, thank you. It's made a difference. And #ShoutsToDevanDowney.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated Virginia vs. Notre Dame 10,000 times
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated Michigan vs. Maryland 10,000 times
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated North Carolina vs. Wake Forest 10,000 times
Saturday's slate is going to be a good one, so make your picks only after seeing what our experts...
The league is reportedly recommending replay be allowable in a case such as UK-LSU this past...
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated Davidson vs. Saint Joseph's 10,000 times