College Basketball Podcast: Should Memphis fire Tubby and hire Penny?
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander discuss the latest in college hoops, including Gonzaga's great season
Gonzaga secured the WCC's automatic bid late Tuesday and is now officially headed to the NCAA Tournament for the 20th consecutive season. Amazing stuff. Also amazing: The Zags have won 30 games for the third time in four years despite losing four of their top five scorers from last season's team that played in the title game of the 2017 NCAA Tournament. So Matt Norlander and I opened this episode of the Eye On College Basketball Podcast by discussing Mark Few's program.
My concern: The Zags are going to be underseeded.
They're top-10 at KenPom but a projected five seed by CBS Sports' Jerry Palm. And if the selection committee follows suit, then they'll be screwing Gonzaga and whichever team has to play Gonzaga just like it screwed both Wichita State and Wichita State's opponent (Dayton) when it underseeded the Shockers for similar reasons last season.
So we got into that at the top. From there, the conversation went like this:
- 16:18: Saint Mary's is 28-5. But 24 of those wins are against teams ranked 120th or worse in the RPI or 125th or worse at KenPom. And they have two sub-135 RPI losses. So there's not much substance to the resume. And if I were on the selection committee, I'd keep the Gaels out of the NCAA Tournament. Are they good? Sure, I think they're good. But when you play in a league like the West Coast Conference and refuse to schedule aggressively in the non-league, you get what you get when you slip-up and lose in the WCC Tournament semifinals. I'll cry no tears for the Gaels if they're sent to the NIT.
- 26:28: Memphis is seriously considering firing Tubby Smith after just two seasons and replacing him with Penny Hardaway. From the outside, this might seem crazy. So I spent a few minutes explaining why it's actually not and asked Norlander for an outsider's perspective.
- 44:48: There are two Wednesday night games in the ACC Tournament with huge bubble implications. One is Notre Dame-Virginia Tech. The other is Syracuse-North Carolina. We discussed both and predicted winners.
- 50:46: Of course we played #TraeYoungOverUnder heading into the Big 12 Tournament.
- 53:38: The Patriot League Tournament title game is Tuesday night on CBS Sports Network. It's Colgate vs. Bucknell. We offered predictions and I started yelling "Ray Bucknell" for reasons I'm not even sure I understand.
The latest Eye on College Basketball podcast is below. Give it a listen. And if you're not already subscribed, please subscribe to the podcast via Apple Podcasts here. If you are already subscribed, thank you. And #ShoutsToDevanDowney.
The Buckeyes and Bulldogs both thwarted upset bids in the first round on Thursday
The Gators and Red Raiders will try to continue their early round successes
After UVA busted brackets, it's for the best that the other top two title contenders are a...
Mike Krzyzewski is the winningest coach in Division I history in both men's and women's ho...
The Jayhawks survived a brief scare from No. 16 seed Penn to get into the Round of 32 on S...
The No. 1 seed Musketeers face Florida State in the second round of the Big Dance on Sunda...