Podcast: Bomani Jones talks Billy Donovan, Barkley's UK critique
I'm thrilled to finally bring on one of the rising stars of TV and online media, Bomani Jones. Jones is based in the North Carolina Triangle area and is well-versed in college hoops, even though you might know him better as a national commentator.
|Plenty to talk about from that great weekend, but the pod goes big-picture on hoops as well. (Getty Images)|
I'm thrilled to finally bring on one of the rising stars of TV and online media, Bomani Jones. Jones is based in the North Carolina Triangle area and is well-versed in college hoops, even though you might know him better as a national commentator. Today he comes on to discuss why college basketball is fun but frustrating in the modern era; his strange hesitation to embrace Billy Donovan; why Charles Barkley's recent comments about college basketball were right; and of course a reaction and discussion about Gonzaga and Butler after those two played the best game of the season on Saturday. Which is the better program right now? He makes the case for ... well ... you'll have to listen to find out.
- From the beginning: Introductions and then a little Te'o talk; Bomani still has doubts.
- 6:00: On to the hoops, and the first topic is Florida. Didn't realize Bomani wasn't much of a Billy Donovan guy.
- 9:25: Kentucky-Barkley morphs into college hoops and how, when you look at this sport, there aren't even three guys that you look at and go, "What is he still doing in college basketball?"
- 14:35: Hey, he still loves him some hoop, though. Some of the guys Bomani enjoys watching this season.
- 17:30: Gonzaga-Butler: better program is?
- 22:20: Bo hates zones. Most of the time. I've heard him say this often, so I had to ask for his reason -- and fortunately he is more flexible/situational in his opinion than I thought.
- 28:30: How the game has changed, the irony in lower scoring, our wishes for what would make college basketball better. We're looking at you, coaches.
- 31:30: Wrapping up by talking UNC, NC State and Duke, the three big teams in Bomani's backyard.
--> MP3: download the episode here.
--> Popout player: to play pod in a separate window on the Web.
--> If you're not already subscribed via iTunes, please do so now.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to the thrice-a-week podcast on iTunes. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.
After a close game against Michigan, Air Force is playing San Diego State with some moment...
Quickley played for John Calipari this summer with USA Basketball
A revamped Erwin Center is part of a $4.25 million upgrade to the Longhorns' hoops facilit...
Nov. 10 will be here before you know it so here's what you need to know
The league would be wise to treat that series like the ACC treats Duke-North Carolina
Pacific is penalized after the NCAA found academic rules were broken