Podcast: Looking at the leagues and which ones are in rough shape
After a banner year of Wednesday podcasts in 2012, the first Norlander/Goodman/Parrish midweek show of 2013 picks up where we left off.
|It's been a bad, blurry nonconference season for most of the SEC. The league is in a down cycle. (US Presswire)|
After a banner year of Wednesday podcasts in 2012, the first Norlander/Goodman/Parrish midweek show of 2013 picks up where we left off. With league play under way across the country, it's time to assess which conferences are in bad shape, and, unfortunately there are a few of them ... more than we'd like to believe. The SEC is among the worst.
We also run down the Player of the Year race as it stands now, the Kentucky-Louisville fallout, eying Doug McDermott's draft stock -- plus, how we rang in the new year Monday night. Thankfully, Parrish did not pass out in a ditch, nor was he stranded in a random town. In other words: a disappointing victory.
- From the beginning: Let's recap our NYEs. By that I mean: Parrish hasn't been on radio for a few days, so he needs to talk to someone other than his family about random stuff. It's why I love doing these pods.
- 7:40: A quick note on that bizarre UConn-Marquette ending from Tuesday night segues into our overall impressions and assessments of the leagues as they are right now.
- 13:25: Concerns and complaints about the quagmire that is the SEC.
- 17:20: Moving on to the ACC, which was covered on Monday's pod in full, but how do these two flimflammers feel about the league? Note how Goodman basically says NC State is not going to the NCAAs. (I keed, I keed.)
- 22:50: Player of the Year is still Mason Plumlee as of now. Why that's guaranteed to change by Monday. This eventually segues in and out of a few topics. Good stuff in general.
- 33:40: Goodman was at that Louisville win over UK, and I wanted to give it some time on the podcast. UK fans now feeling a Final Four is reasonable in light of the close loss at Ville, apparently.
--> MP3: download the episode here.
--> Popout player: to play pod in a separate window on the Web.
--> If you're not already subscribed via iTunes, please do so now.
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed and college hoops newsletter. You can follow Matt Norlander on Twitter here: @MattNorlander.
The Mountaineers blew a double-digit lead in the second half and Huggins decided he'd seen...
The No. 3 Wildcats crush the No. 4 Musketeers to move closer to winning a 5th consecutive Big...
The No. 2 Spartans overcame a 27-point deficit vs. Northwestern and South Carolina holds on...
John Calipari's team gets a healthy home win over Alabama, and UK fans can finally calm th...
McLemore was taken to a nearby hospital for further evaluation
Bagley is leading the Blue Devils in scoring and rebounding