Tiny Dancers: Coastal Carolina earns first NCAA bid in 21 years
The Chanticleers! This team is probably going to be a 16 seed, but it's finally broken through and will be in the Big Dance.
One of the coolest monikers in college hoops -- the Chanticleers -- will be making a return to the NCAA Tournament.
But it's been a while.
For Ellis, he achieves the rare feat of taking four programs to the NCAA tournament. Ellis, who teared up in the postgame interview, coached South Alabama farom 1975-84; Clemson from 1984-94; and Auburn 1994-04.
Ellis' team is the best on defense in the Big South conference and has a terrific deploy of guards in Josh Cameron, Elijah Wilson and Warren Gillis. It's all about guard play and constantly switching up defensive looks. Because this team is very hampered on offense. It averages 43.4 percent from the field and scores just 96.7 points per 100 possessions.
But they'll guard you, no doubt about it.
Player to know: Elijah Wilson. The freshman shooting guard has a nice career ahead of him. Leading the team in scoring (16.2) and minutes, Wilson has become the go-to among the three-headed attack that also includes Cameron and Gillis, the point guard.
- Record: 21-12 overall, 11-5 in the Big South
- Most recent tournament appearance: 1993 (lost as 16 seed)
- Jerry Palm predicts: 16 seed
- RPI: 217
- KenPom ranking: 242
- Sagarin ranking: 239
- Best wins: vs. St. Francis (NY), at VMI
- Worst losses: vs. Central Connecticut State (twice), vs. Longwood, at Presbyterian
- Notable stat: 39.8. That's how many rebounds per game Coastal brings in, which is 11th in the nation. When you've got a group that's mid-major in many areas, but not on the glass, it's a very positive sign.
- Closing quip: This team will be a total longshot to do anything notable. But when you get back to the NCAAs after 21 years away, it's a great story. And Coastal Carolina and Ellis are going to get their due. The team's won an average of 22 games over the past five seasons. The best team in the Big South? No. But home-court advantage in the league tournament certainly, finally, paid off.
The Gaels are back in the Top 25 (and 1) after taking down the Zags
The selection committee will again reveal what it is thinking ahead of Selection Sunday
Teams not in major conferences with a shot at an at-large NCAA Tournament bids
The nation's No. 3 player will commit Saturday and here's his impact on each of his finali...
Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander also preview the weekend and Zion Williamson's announcemen...
The Sun Devils started 12-0, but since then are 2-4 after Wednesday's loss to Stanford