Today's Specials: Bubble teams face must wins
Wednesday is a big day for bubble teams, as nearly a dozen teams on the fence could use wins.
Tuesday was a big night for teams that needed signature home wins, with Minnesota and Tennessee both picking up upset victories. What will Wednesday bring? There is a showdown in the Mountain West, and tons of bubble action in terms of teams that need wins.
Note: All times are Eastern, and the rankings are according to the AP poll.
Best game: San Diego State Aztecs at No. 14 New Mexico Lobos (10:15 p.m., CBS Sports Network). Another game that should be terrific in the Mountain West. New Mexico picked up a monster win over the weekend at Colorado State, with Kendall Williams scoring 46 points and knocking down 10 3-pointers. Meanwhile, San Diego State could use a marquee win to boost its resume -- and a win in Albuquerque would give the Aztecs a season sweep of the Lobos. The key for San Diego State’s defense will be to limit New Mexico’s opportunities from the free-throw stripe, while its offense has to get opportunities in transition and win head-to-head matchups on the perimeter.
Second-best game: No. 7 Georgetown Hoyas at Connecticut Huskies (7 p.m., ESPN2). Is anyone playing better than Georgetown right now? It’s tough to find another team like the Hoyas, who have won nine in a row, including Saturday’s 11-point win at Syracuse over the weekend. Otto Porter has played himself into the National Player of the Year conversation, and D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera has become a consistent perimeter option for the Hoyas. Connecticut will have to be disciplined on the defensive end, finding ways to get free shots from the foul line against Georgetown’s defense.
Another one to watch: Akron Zips at Ohio Bobcats (7 p.m.). This might not have the big-name pop of some of the other games Wednesday night, but Akron and Ohio are battling for the MAC title. Akron is undefeated in the conference, while Ohio is one game back -- with its lone loss coming at the Zips a couple of weeks back. Each team still has four regular-season games left, so it’s not over yet -- regardless of what happens on Wednesday. From Akron’s standpoint, the Zips need to run the table until the title game to have a shot at an at-large bid.
Guaranteed win: Belmont Bruins has been one of the best mid-major teams all season, but the Bruins are only one game up on Eastern Kentucky in the Ohio Valley. The Bruins should clinch at least a share of the regular-season title at home against SIU-Edwardsville Cougars on Wednesday (8 p.m.). Moreover, should they lose in the conference tournament, they have to avoid bad losses before the title game.
Potential upset: There are a few teams that are heading on the road and could face a tough tilt. Maryland Terrapins is probably on the wrong side of the bubble right now, and a loss at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Tech" data-canon="Georgia Bulldogs" data-type="SPORTS_OBJECT_TEAM" id="shortcode0"> (8 p.m.) would doom the Terrapins. Oklahoma Sooners is certainly in the field, but Texas Longhorns could give them a run down in Austin (9 p.m., ESPN2). Lastly, Baylor Bears faces an absolute must-win on the road at a West Virginia team that’s been playing better lately (8 p.m., ESPN3).
Three things to keep an eye on:
- Arizona State Sun Devils is squarely on the bubble as it heads on the road for its final three games. On the other side, UCLA Bruins needs a win to stay in the Pac-12 title hunt (11:30 p.m., Pac-12 Network).
- Several bubble teams face must-wins: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs (8 p.m., ESPN3); Charlotte 49ers vs. Dayton Flyers (7:30 p.m.); Boise State Broncos vs. Nevada Wolf Pack (8 p.m.); Ole Miss Rebels vs. Texas A&M Aggies (9 p.m., ESPN3); St. Mary's Gaels at Pepperdine Waves (11 p.m., ESPNU).
- Two teams can clinch outright regular-season titles tonight: Bucknell Bison vs. American Eagles (7 p.m.) and Northeastern Huskies at Georgia State Panthers (7 p.m.).
Other games to watch:
-- Ranked teams
- No. 4 Michigan Wolverines at Penn State Nittany Lions (6:30 p.m., Big Ten Network)
- Virginia Tech Hokies at No. 5 Miami (Fla.) Hurricanes (7 p.m., ESPN3)
- No. 15 Oklahoma State Cowboys at TCU Horned Frogs (7 p.m., ESPNU)
- South Florida Bulls " data-canon="Florida Gators" data-type="SPORTS_OBJECT_TEAM" id="shortcode0"> at No. 23 Pittsburgh Panthers (7 p.m., ESPN3)
- Saint Joseph's Hawks at No. 18 Saint Louis Billikens (8 p.m., CBS Sports)
- No. 10 Louisville Cardinals at DePaul Blue Demons (9 p.m., ESPNU)
- No. 11 Arizona Wildcats at Southern California Trojans (9:30 p.m., Pac-12 Network)
-- At-large implications
- Drake Bulldogs at Indiana State Sycamores (7:05 p.m.)
- Creighton Bluejays at Bradley Braves (8 p.m.)
- Arkansas Razorbacks at LSU Tigers (8 p.m., ESPN3)
- Boston College Eagles at NC State Wolfpack (8 p.m., ESPN3)
- Evansville Aces at Wichita State Shockers (8 p.m.)
- Purdue Boilermakers at Iowa Hawkeyes (8:36 p.m., Big Ten Network)
- Fresno State Bulldogs at Colorado State Rams (9 p.m.)
- Colorado Buffaloes at Stanford Cardinal (11 p.m., ESPN2)
-- Conference races
- Davidson Wildcats at Elon Phoenix (7 p.m.)
- Charleston Southern Buccaneers " data-canon="Southern Jaguars" data-type="SPORTS_OBJECT_TEAM" id="shortcode0"> at Gardner-Webb Bulldogs (7 p.m.)
- Radford Highlanders at High Point Panthers (7 p.m.)
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed and subscribe to our College Basketball Newsletter. You can follow Jeff Borzello on Twitter here: @jeffborzello
After a close game against Michigan, Air Force is playing San Diego State with some moment...
Quickley played for John Calipari this summer with USA Basketball
A revamped Erwin Center is part of a $4.25 million upgrade to the Longhorns' hoops facilit...
Nov. 10 will be here before you know it so here's what you need to know
The league would be wise to treat that series like the ACC treats Duke-North Carolina
Pacific is penalized after the NCAA found academic rules were broken