Today's Specials: Chance for bubble teams to make statements
Wednesday is a big night for bubble teams, with a handful of them looking to get statement wins to help their resumes.
Tuesday saw several teams lose important games and therefore watch their at-large hopes fade into the abyss, while Ohio State also made a major statement with a road win at Indiana. Wednesday has five conference tournaments, 10 ranked teams and plenty of bubble action.
Note: All times are Eastern, and the rankings are according to the AP Poll.
Best game: No. 13 Oklahoma State at Iowa State (7 p.m., ESPNU). After a heartbreaking overtime loss to Kansas last Monday, Iowa State got blown out by Oklahoma on the road -- meaning the Cyclones are in serious at-large trouble. They have wins over Kansas State and Oklahoma, but they are just 5-8 against the top 100 with mediocre computer numbers and two sub-100 losses. Oklahoma State needs a win to stay within striking distance of the Big 12 title, as the Cowboys sit 1 1/2 games back of Kansas and Kansas State. Iowa State will need to knock down 3-pointers but also be disciplined on the defensive end.
Second-best game: No. 5 Georgetown at Villanova (7 p.m., ESPN2). Another chance for a bubble team to get a statement win. Georgetown is playing some of the best basketball in the country, rolling off 11 straight wins to move to 13-3 in the Big East. The Hoyas are a half-game up in the conference standings, so a win would clinch at least a share of the title. Villanova is squarely on the bubble, and back-to-back road losses to Seton Hall and Pittsburgh have left them in trouble. Wednesday’s battle against the Hoyas could be a must-win situation for the Wildcats.
Another one to watch: North Carolina at Maryland (7 p.m., ESPN). A battle between a couple of ACC teams that could use a win. North Carolina has played itself into the NCAA tournament with five straight wins and a small-ball lineup, but a win over the Terps would really clinch a bid. Meanwhile, Maryland can’t afford another loss – after falling to Boston College and Georgia Tech in the last two weeks. If the Terrapins drop this one, it’s going to take a win at Virginia and a couple of ACC tournament wins to get a bid.
Guaranteed win: It might be going out on a limb a little bit to pick Syracuse, since the Orange have lost three straight games and six of their last 10 games. However, the Orange are hosting DePaul (6 p.m., ESPN3), which hasn’t won a road game since Jan. 5 and has lost four in a row and 13 of its last 14 games. Syracuse should bounce back. Over in the SEC, No. 11 Florida has been up and down since the beginning of February, but the Gators shouldn’t have much trouble with Vanderbilt (8 p.m., ESPN3). A win over the Commodores would clinch the outright SEC title.
Potential upset: There are several ranked teams going on the road on Wednesday, and a couple could be at risk. No. 7 Michigan has dropped four straight away games, with the last road win coming in late January at Illinois. Meanwhile, a young Purdue team has shown flashes of its potential and might be able to bog Michigan down (7 p.m., Big Ten Network). In another game, No. 16 Saint Louis heads on the road to Xavier (9 p.m.), where the Musketeers are usually tough to beat. This season, though, they have lost four games at home; can they upset the Billikens? A Saint Louis win would clinch at least a share of the A-10 title.
Three things to keep an eye on:
- Tennessee suffered a tough loss at Georgia over the weekend, and need to bounce back at Auburn to keep its at-large hopes alive (9 p.m., ESPN3).
- No. 23 UCLA is tied atop the Pac-12 standings, and the Bruins start their final road trip at Washington State (9:30 p.m., Pac-12 Network).
- A loss by Temple at Fordham (7 p.m.) would cripple the Owls’ at-large hopes. A win and they are in good shape.
- Atlantic Sun quarterfinals (Game to watch: North Florida vs. Florida Gulf Coast)
- West Coast Conference first round (Game to watch: Loyola Marymount vs. Portland)
- Ohio Valley first round (Game to watch: Tennessee-Martin vs. Morehead State)
- Patriot League quarterfinals (Game to watch: American at Army)
- Northeast Conference quarterfinals (Game to watch: Mount St. Mary’s at Bryant)
Other games to watch:
-- Ranked teams
- Richmond at No. 21 VCU (8 p.m., CBS Sports)
- Georgia Tech at No. 6 Miami (9 p.m., ESPN3)
- No. 12 New Mexico at Nevada (10 p.m., CBS Sports)
-- At-large implications
- Wake Forest at NC State (9 p.m., ESPN3)
- Minnesota at Nebraska (9 p.m., Big Ten Network)
- West Virginia at Oklahoma (9 p.m., ESPN2)
- Colorado State at Wyoming (10 p.m., ROOT)
- Stanford at California (11 p.m., ESPN2)
- Air Force at San Diego State (11:30 p.m.)
For more college basketball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnCBB on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed and subscribe to our College Basketball Newsletter. You can follow Jeff Borzello on Twitter here: @jeffborzello
The Sooners and freshman Trae Young try to snap a two-game skid when they face the Jayhawk...
Howard scoring sensation R.J. Cole is our Freshman of the Week
How the late Andrew Smith inspired change and helped save a child
Matt Norlander is on a 14-10 run in college basketball picks and shares his best bets for...
Calipari threw major shade at Duke and the coaching staff's recruiting pitch
Brown is the No. 2 center in the Class of 2018 and a big get for the Bruins