Five-star wide receiver Evan Stewart, the No. 3 overall player and top-ranked receiver in the Class of 2022, announced Tuesday that he will forgo the remainder of his high school career to focus on his upcoming college decision and future as a college football player. Stewart, a 6-foot, 200-pounder from Liberty High School in Frisco, Texas, made the announcement on Twitter.
"I will be foregoing the rest of my senior season and mentally and physically prepare myself for the next level of my football career and a huge step in life," he wrote. "Once again thank you for all of the support and countless love. To my Red-Hawk teammates, I wish y'all the best of luck throughout the rest of the season and it's always love when it comes to y'all. I hope every single one of you guys become great one day."
Stewart has 2,084 receiving yards and 19 touchdowns in three seasons on the varsity squad. He had 19 catches for 414 yards and three touchdowns this season before choosing to leave the team. He has narrowed down his college decision to Florida, Texas, LSU and Alabama. The 247Sports Crystal Ball gives Texas a 66.7% chance of landing his services, with Florida as the second-most likely winner of the recruiting battle at 33.3%.
Gabe Brooks, midland region recruiting analyst for 247Sports, provided this scouting report on Stewart:
"Adequate-sized receiver with lean, athletic build," Brooks wrote. "Can play from the outside and the slot. Dangerous vertically and in run-after-catch scenarios. Explosive playmaking ability in the open field. Owner of one of the best track and field profiles in the 2022 class. Personal records include 10.74 100, 21.08 200, 24-6 long jump, and 47-9 triple jump. Athleticism translates to the gridiron. Gets on top of corners quickly and flashes runaway speed. Shows good acceleration. Quick-footed and should possess high ceiling as a route-runner. Springy in 50-50 situations and can go up and get it in traffic
"Can more consistently leverage DB's into breaks. Filling out and getting stronger will help transition to facing high-major DB's, as a pass-catcher and a perimeter blocker. One of the top offensive prospects in Texas for 2022. Could become an all-conference wideout at the P5 level with long-term early-round NFL Draft potential."
Stewart has officially visited Texas, Florida and Alabama since the recruiting dead period was listed on June 1, and has made unofficial visits to LSU and Texas A&M. He has not set an official date for his college decision.