When the injuries begin piling up
Lose half your roster to injuries over the last couple weeks? Scott White helps you prioritize which players to stash and which ones to drop.
I mentioned on Monday's Fantasy Baseball Today that I had to drop James Paxton in a couple leagues despite my sincerest efforts not to. I just have so many players on the DL right now that I'd have to go short-handed if I didn't drop one.
I'm guessing I'm not the only one feeling the DL crunch, what with Jay Bruce, Ryan Braun, Matt Cain, Jason Kipnis, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Adam Eaton and Wilin Rosario going down just this weekend, so I thought I'd help everyone prioritize by putting together a list of the top players worth stashing in a DL slot.
- Clayton Kershaw, SP, Dodgers
- Chris Sale, SP, White Sox
- Ryan Braun, OF, Brewers
- Chris Davis, 1B, Orioles
- Matt Cain, SP, Giants
- Jason Kipnis, 2B, Indians
- Ryan Zimmerman, 3B, Nationals
- Aroldis Chapman, RP, Reds
- Anibal Sanchez, SP, Tigers
- Wilin Rosario, C, Rockies
- Bryce Harper, OF, Nationals
- Mark Trumbo, 1B/OF, Diamondbacks
- Tony Cingrani, SP, Reds
- Alex Cobb, SP, Rays
- Mat Latos, SP, Reds
- Adam Eaton, OF, White Sox
- Hyun-Jin Ryu, SP, Dodgers
- Josh Hamilton, OF, Angels
- Michael Cuddyer, 1B/OF, Rockies
- Devin Mesoraco, C, Reds
- Jason Grilli, RP, Pirates
- Doug Fister, SP, Nationals
- Taijuan Walker, SP, Mariners
- James Paxton, SP, Mariners
- Wilson Ramos, C, Nationals
- Casey Janssen, RP, Blue Jays
- Kole Calhoun, OF, Angels
- Jurickson Profar, 2B, Rangers
- Derek Holland, SP, Rangers
- Chase Headley, 3B, Padres
You see? When it gets right down to it, Paxton is awfully low on the list, which is no knock on him. The list just happens to be especially deep in high-end talent right now.
Your specific circumstances might compel you to amend the list slightly. Generally speaking, I prioritized long-term value over projected return, but obviously, Harper wouldn't be behind Zimmerman, Chapman, Sanchez and Rosario if he wasn't expected to miss two months. I might prioritize Cingrani, Cobb and Latos over Trumbo in a Head-to-Head points league, where he isn't as valuable as in Rotisserie, and of course, the value of catchers and closers can vary greatly based on format.
But hopefully, this gives you a starting point as you sort out which players are worth stashing and which aren't.
Note: Bruce and Michael Pineda weren't technically on the DL at the time of this post. If they were, Bruce would rank seventh, between Kipnis and Zimmerman, and Pineda would rank 23rd, between Fister and Walker.
The winter meetings have ended, and much of the Fantasy Baseball landscape is the same. But...
The Cardinals' pursuit of Giancarlo Stanton ended with them acquiring Marcell Ozuna, but Scott...
With Saturday's trade, Giancarlo Stanton teams up with Aaron Judge to make the Yankees' already...
Shohei Ohtani has made his decision, but how exactly the Angels plan to use him remains anybody's...
Dee Gordon has a new team and a new position. He'll play the outfield in Seattle, which could...
Shohei Ohtani reportedly has narrowed the field to seven teams. Where would the two-way sensation...