Martinez went 1-for-4 with a grand slam in Wednesday's 9-5 loss to the Rays. After going 14 games without a long ball to begin the season, Martinez now has homers in two of his last three. Earlier this season, Martinez lamented MLB's new restrictions on communal video terminals. He told Alex Speier of the Boston Globe, "In the past I probably already would have been able to get in the video room, break [struggling teammate Andrew Benintendi's] swing down, look at it, do some comparisons. It's kind of what I do for most of the guys on the team. We don't have access to any of that stuff anymore. It's kind of everyone on their own. Survivor." While Martinez can no longer go to the video terminal in the clubhouse during games to examine the mechanics of his swing and make adjustments, this is a player coming off six straight highly-productive seasons and we expect he will be able to make do.
Martinez went 3-for-4 with a walk, a solo home run and a second run scored in Monday's 8-7 loss to the Rays. It took 15 games, but the 32-year-old slugger finally connected on his first homer of 2020. Seven of Martinez's 11 hits coming into Monday were doubles, however, so it was only a matter of time before one went over the fence. On the season, he's now hitting .233 with four RBI, but don't be surprised if Monday's blast marks the beginning of a hot streak for Martinez.
Martinez is not in the lineup for Saturday's game against the Yankees. Martinez had started in each of Boston's first eight games this season, but he'll take a seat after going 7-for-32 with three extra-base hits, four runs and three RBI to begin the season. Kevin Pillar will serve as the designated hitter and bat second Saturday.
Martinez went 3-for-5 with two doubles, three RBI, two runs scored, and a walk during Friday's 13-2 win over the Orioles. Martinez created havoc hitting in front of Rafael Devers and Xander Bogaerts, but the entire Red Sox lineup produced at a high level -- Martinez was one of four Boston players to record three or more hits. The veteran slugger kicked off the season in style after hitting for .304 with 36 home runs and 105 RBI in 2019.
Martinez batted second in the order during Tuesday's exhibition game against the Blue Jays, Ian Browne of MLB.com reports. This was a surprise maneuver by Boston manager Ron Roenicke, who a day earlier had tagged Rafael Devers as the team's likely No. 2 hitter. But the manager is apparently reconsidering deploying two lefties in a row at the top of the order. "The reason being simply because we have [Andrew] Benintendi followed with Devers and we know that gives the opponent the opportunity to bring in a left-hander against them, and this breaks it up and makes it tough now," Roenicke said. Martinez, who has batted third or fourth since joining Boston, stepped in behind left-handed-hitting leadoff batter Andrew Benintendi against Toronto right-hander Nate Pearson. It's unclear if Martinez will occupy the two-hole every game or only when a lefty hitter is leading off, but the move is in line with a trend of having a team's most dangerous hitter batting second. "This is something that I don't know for a fact, but this is something that the analytics people tell me," said Roenicke. "For whatever reason, the second spot in your lineup is the most important spot in your lineup."
|vs COLE (CAREER)||4/12||.333||1||0||0||4||5|