The Tampa Bay Buccaneers ruled out Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski on Friday. This is an offense that is deep enough to handle that type of loss, so you don't need to worry about Tom Brady. But you might want to show a little more interest in O.J. Howard.
Howard has split tight end targets evenly with Cameron Brate since Gronkowski went down, but he's a far better athlete, and he flashed that ability in Week 6 when he caught six of seven targets for 49 yards and a touchdown against the Eagles.
The last time the team was without Brown, Week 3, Gronkowski saw a 14% target share and the tight ends as a group saw 26% of the targets. I've projected Howard and Brate for a 13% target share each, which makes Howard the better option because of his downfield ability, but puts both in play as streamers. They both project better than Ricky Seals-Jones, but my updated rankings will have it Howard, then Seals-Jones, then Brate. I would start all three ahead of Zach Ertz this week.
Here's everything else you need to know about tight end in Week 7:
Fantasy Football Today Newsletter
Know What Your Friends Don't
Get tips, advice and news to win your league - all from the FFT podcast team.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Week 7 TE Preview
The following players are not being projected to play Week 7 at this time. Here's what it means:
Numbers to Know
- 15 -- Targets for Ricky Seals-Jones the past two weeks.
- 25.8% -- Kyle Pitts has accounted for more than a quarter of the Falcons air yards this season. No tight end has a higher rate.
- 16.7 -- Mike Gesicki has scored at least 16.7 PPR Fantasy points in three of his past four games.
- 14.2 -- Dalton Schultz is averaging 14.2 Fantasy points per game, which is fourth-best among tight ends, and better than Darren Waller.
- 149.1 -- Jalen Hurts has a near perfect passer rating when targeting Dallas Goedert; hopefully the departure of Zach Ertz means more targets for Goedert.
- 334 -- Mark Andrews leads all tight ends with 334 completed air yards.
- 7.9% -- Arizona has thrown just 7.9% of their passes to tight ends. That will need to change a lot for Zach Ertz to matter in Fantasy.
Matchups that matter
Waiver Wire Targets
WAS Washington • #83
Age: 26 • Experience: 4 yrs.
Seals-Jones has absorbed all of the Logan Thomas role in this offense, and in a week like this that makes him a near must-start tight end. A game script chasing points against the Packers doesn't hurt anything either.
We can excuse O.J. Howard's slow start, coming back from a major injury. He has three games with at least six targets from Tom Brady. He's scored at least 13 PPR Fantasy points in all of them.
TB Tampa Bay • #84
Age: 30 • Experience: 7 yrs.
Brate is a touchdown or bust tight end, but so is everyone ranked below him. And they aren't playing with Tom Brady.
You have to save money somewhere this week if you want to play Derrick Henry. And I definitely want to play Derrick Henry.
LV Las Vegas • #83
Age: 29 • Experience: 5 yrs.
Waller has been underwhelming lately, but I expect a bounceback against the Eagles. This defense does everything it can to take away the deep ball, which should lead to a steady dose of Josh Jacobs carries and Darren Waller dump offs. The Eagles have seen the fourth-most tight end targets this season.
So who should you start and sit this week? And which surprising quarterback could lead you to victory? Visit SportsLine now to get Week 7 rankings for every position, plus see which QB is going to come out of nowhere to crack the top 10, all from the model that has out-performed experts big-time.