This year has been like any other due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and that includes the sports season. When the pandemic hit in March, sporting events around the world were canceled or postponed. Some leagues and tournaments were forced to cancel, others paused with the hope of restarting, but all had to adjust in some way.
As the world continues to navigate the pandemic, many sports leagues that paused in March have since created a plan to restart found a safe way to carry out their season. For instance, the NBA and NHL have "bubbles" for players to live. In other sports, fans are not permitted at many events and new health protocols have been put in place.
Stay up to date with what games are on by checking out our daily schedule of sporting events.
Today's sporting events:
Thursday, September 17
All times Eastern
- St. Louis Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Pirates, 4:05 p.m.
- Philadelphia Phillies vs. Toronto Blue Jays, 4:05 p.m.
- Washington Nationals vs. Miami Marlins, 5:10 p.m.
- Toronto Blue Jays vs. Philadelphia Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
- Pittsburgh Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals, 7:05 p.m.
- Cleveland Indians vs. Detroit Tigers, 7:10 p.m.
- Chicago White Sox vs. Cincinnati Reds, 7:10 p.m.
- Atlanta Braves vs. New York Mets, 7:10 p.m.
- New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox, 7:30 p.m.
- Tampa Bay Rays vs. Baltimore Orioles, 7:35 p.m.
- Kansas City Royals vs. Milwaukee Brewers, 8:10 p.m.
- Arizona Diamondbacks vs. Houston Astros, 8:10 p.m.
- Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Colorado Rockies, 8:10 p.m.
- Washington Nationals vs. Miami Marlins, 8:10 p.m.
- Minnesota Twins vs. Chicago Cubs, 8:15 p.m.
- Texas Rangers vs. Los Angeles Angels, 9:10 p.m.
- San Francisco Giants vs. Oakland Athletics, 9:40 p.m.
- San Diego Padres vs. Seattle Mariners, 9:40 p.m.
- Denver Nuggets vs. Los Angeles Lakers, 9 p.m.
Here's an overall look at the current 2020 sports calendar
24 Hours of Le Mans: September 19 – 20, 2020
Initially scheduled for June 13-14, the 24 Hours of Le Mans to September 19-20.
French Open: September 20 – October 4, 2020
The tennis tournament will be held at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France.
Ryder Cup: September 25 – 27, 2020
The 43rd Ryder Cup Matches will be held on the Straits course at Whistling Straits in Haven, Wisconsin.
Preakness Stakes: October 3, 2020
The Preakness Stakes was rescheduled from May 16 to October 3. It will conclude the Triple Crown.
NBA Draft: October 16, 2020
The draft will take place six weeks after the draft lottery. If the lottery takes place on the predicted August 25 date, the draft will be on October 15.
Breeders' Cup: November 6 – 7, 2020
The 2020 Breeders' Cup will be held in front of fans when it returns to Keeneland Association In in Lexington, Kentucky.
Masters: November 12 – 15, 2020
The Masters were moved to November, meaning there could be two Masters in five months.
U.S. Women's Open: December 10 – 13, 2020
The USGA rescheduled the U.S. Women's Open from the original June 4-7 date. It will be played over two courses due to less daylight in December.
2020 Summer Olympics: Summer 2021