Seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus. Johnson will miss the next Cup Series race, at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and could be out even longer. According to NASCAR's rules about personnel returning from a COVID-19 diagnosis, they must be symptom-free and have two negative coronavirus tests in a 24-hour span.
The rapid spread of the coronavirus has caused cancellations and postponements of sporting events and affected sports around the globe. One of the biggest developments to occur since the outbreak in March is that Japan and the International Olympic Committee havethe 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo until next year.
As of June 17, there have been over 2.1 million confirmed coronavirus in the United States, and more than 116,000 have died due to the virus, according to CDC data. Below is a running list of updates on how COVID-19 has affected and is still affecting the world of sports.
Looking to stay on top of how Coronavirus is impacting the sports world? Check out our Spotify playlist featuring CBS Sports Podcast Network episodes on the topic. Listen here
- The NBA has voted to in Orlando beginning on July 31. There will be a play-in tournament to determine the eighth seeds in each conference.
- , along with all other winter season championship events.
- Japan and the International Olympic Committee officially to 2021 on March 24. They have been rescheduled, with the .
- The league initially suspended operations, including spring training, on Thursday, March 12. The MLB Players Association and MLB went back and forth negotiating for weeks, but on June 23 a 60-game season was agreed upon by both sides. Games are supposed to start on July 23 or 24.
- The NHL will within the next week or so." assuming that there aren't any setbacks in terms of positive coronavirus tests. There will be a play-in round to open the tournament and the top four teams in each conference will earn a bye. The league intends to make a decision on the two hub cities that will host all of the games once they start up again "
- The PGA Tour on March 13. The 2020 Masters has been postponed, while the 2020 British Open has been canceled.
- The Kentucky Derby, which was originally slated to be held on May 2, has been rescheduled to Sept. 5. The Preakness Stakes has been rescheduled from May 16 to Oct. 3 and the Belmont Stakes, for the first time ever, acted as the first leg of the Triple Crown on June 20, contested at a distance of 1 1/8 miles rather than the traditional 1 1/2 miles.
- After originally as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, the XFL ceased operations on April 10 and just three days later