IOC demands smiles, ridiculous perks ahead of 2022 Olympic bid
Oslo said no to the Olympics after the IOC demanded things like prioritized traffic lanes, free cell phones, never-ending drinks and smiles.
Oslo won’t be hosting the 2022 Olympics because Norway’s ruling party sees the games’ exorbitant price tag of $5.4 billion as too much money to spend on a project without enough public support.
“It’s important to get broad support for such an expensive project and there is not enough to carry thought such a project,” Prime Minister Erna Solberg said to a Norwegian TV station.
Breaking news: The government will not provide the required warranty. Norway has to withdraw its application to host the Olympics #Oslo2022— OSLO2022 (@OSLO2O22) October 1, 2014
Aside from the lack of public support (ask Brazil about the World Cup and Olympic projects), the IOC laid out a list of ridiculous demands as part of what would’ve been Oslo’s bid.
First, the IOC wanted to meet the king prior to the opening ceremony. Next it wanted never-ending drinks payable to the royal family or the Norwegian Olympic Committee.
Okay, well yeah, I guess. VG mined the 7,000+ pages of requirements from the IOC, and most pertained to security. The following do not.
- Car and drivers for all IOC members.
- Diverted and prioritized Olympic traffic
- Dedicated Olympic traffic lanes, not to be used by regular people
- "IOC members will be received with a smile on arrival at hotel"
- Hotel bars must be open “extra late” and can only serve Coca-Cola products
- All conference rooms must be kept at exactly 68 degrees
- “All furniture should be OL-shaped and have Olympic Appearance”
- Finally, the IOC “proposes the closure of schools, and the local people are encouraged to take vacations.”
Here's everything you need to know to watch Hockey East games
Here's how to watch the Bonnies take on the Pioneers
Here's how to watch the Wolverines take on the Mountaineers
This pole vault attempt could not have gone any worse
Visser will be the first woman honored with Sports Emmys' Lifetime Achievement Award
Jody Demling scored the exacta and trifecta in three Kentucky Derby prep races on the same...