WWE Royal Rumble 2016 results: Triple H wins title, AJ Styles debuts
CBS Sports was with you throughout the 2016 WWE Royal Rumble with match results, reactions and highlights. Check them all out in our recap of the event.
Roman Reigns, who entered Sunday's main event with the title at the No. 1 spot, was eliminated before the its conclusion, meaning those watching the 2016 WWE Royal Rumble knew full there would be a new World Heavyweight Champion prior to the end of the 30-man battle royal.
Ultimately, following a back-and-forth between Triple H (entrant No. 30) and Dean Ambrose (entrant No. 19), the 46-year-old executive vice president of WWE became the company's new champion.
The championship win marked Triple H's first since 2009 and 14th all-time (one behind John Cena and two back of all-time leader Ric Flair), and it came almost out of necessity for WWE, which has been hemorrhaging top talent due to injury over the last few months and not elevated enough of its mid-card talent to step up to the world title picture in a pinch.
It will be interesting to see where WWE goes from here as the Road to WrestleMania truly begins. Triple H holding the title into the show seems almost a given, and Reigns getting his rematch at that time also appears likely.
For WWE, Sunday was the company's fourth world title change in 64 days beginning with the Survivor Series on Nov. 22, all of which followed Seth Rollins vacating the belt after tearing up his knee.
More takeaways from the Royal Rumble ...
1. Brock Lesnar and The Wyatt Family appear to be on a collision course for Fastlane (February pay-per-view) and likely WrestleMania 32.
2. Sami Zayn looks to be on the main roster after a rehab stint in NXT following an injury suffered when he made his debut on Monday Night Raw.
3. Though AJ Styles has debuted ... the other wrestlers that reportedly signed with him did not. Surprise faction on Raw?
4. WWE does not seem to have much of a plan for either Kevin Owens or the League of Nations. Plus, who is next to challenge for the Intercontinental Championship?
5. It looks like WWE is prepared to go with Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks for the Divas Championship at WrestleMania 32. Banks going over would surely please the crowd.
6. Though WWE looked like it was headed in the right direction, the tag team division is still a mess with little intrigue. It desperately needs to be freshened up.
7. WWE definitely believes in Ambrose, just like it does Reigns.
Check out the live blog recap below for results, reactions, reviews and highlights from the Royal Rumble. (Remember to touch or click "load more" to view the next set of blog entries.)
Mike McClure, a DFS pro with almost $2 million in career earnings, reveals his top League of...
Grosso was one of the early pioneers of the sport
A running list of professional athletes, coaches, and sports figures diagnosed with coronavirus
Mike McClure, a DFS pro with almost $2 million in career earnings, reveals his top Counter-Strike:...
Handicapping champion Jonathon Kinchen has revealed his Will Rogers Downs Pick 4 ticket for...
Bob Weir landed one of just eight spots on Beyer's figure-making team in 2017.
The coronavirus is causing sports cancellations and postponements all across the world