A few things you should know about the Players Championship
Tiger Woods will miss the Players Championship but 46 of the top 50 in the world will be in attendance. What to watch for at TPC Sawgrass.
Golf's fifth major week is here and if this year's edition is anything like last year then we're in for quite the show.
Here's a look at what to expect and a few things you should know about the Players Championship this week.
1. How are the greens?
2. The field includes 46 of the top 50 in the world: A big boy field this week as only Miguel Angel Jimenez, Victor Dubuisson (neither of whom give a crap, it would seem, about anything but striking flagsticks), Jason Day, and some guy named Tiger will miss.
3. Oh yeah, Tiger Woods will miss: Like it or not, that's the prevailing storyline on tour this year and will continue to be until he either 1. Retires or 2. Comes back later this year.
I'm just bummed we won't be seeing another one of these babies on No. 18 after Sergio rinsed two balls on No. 17 last year:
4. Will we break this parity madness: I feel like a broken record by continuing to harp on it but with only two PGA Tour wins from the world top 10 to start the year, it kinds of needs to be harped on.
This tournament lends itself to a star taking home the trophy but that doesn't guarantee anything (see: Ames, Stephen in 2006).
5. What kind of drama will No. 17 yield? The Island Hole is always fun (unless you're Sergio!) and we've seen it create all kinds of dream-dashing moments over the years (plus one very, very amazing putt).
Here are the number of shots that have gone in the water over the last decade:
I think 2007 might have caused some folks to retire.
6. Is Rory ready? Rory McIlroy sounded about as pissed off as Rory McIlroy gets after his disappointing finish to the Wells Fargo Championship.
McIlroy once called skipping this tournament "(not) one of my brightest moments" and he finished T8 here last season. It's trophy-gettin' time for Rory.
7. Mother's Day story: The Players ends on Mother's Day again this season -- we got this from Tiger last year:
The best potential story I can think of this year? Webb Simpson winning one for his caddie, Paul Tesori and Tesori's wife who have gone through a pretty emotional last few months.
That would be massively destructive on the tear ducts of sports fans across the country.
8. New No. 1? The top spot in the world is as up for grabs as it's been in a long, long time. Will Matt Kuchar, Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson, or Bubba Watson grab it?
Fowler will finally get win No. 2 of the season and take home $10 million
One of the best soccer players in the world challenges one of the best golfers in the worl...
DFS millionaire gives optimal DraftKings lineup for the 2017 Tour Championship
Next season's FedEx Cup is full of opportunity with $363 million on the line
The final tournament of the 2016-17 PGA Tour season is finally upon us
The former Quicken Loans National has pulled out of Congressional over the next few years