2017 MLB Playoffs: Yankees and Indians announce their ALDS rosters
There are no big surprises for either team
The Yankees and Indians will open their ALDS matchup with Game 1 at Progressive Field on Thursday night. . The Yankees earned a spot in the ALDS with their Wild Card Game over the Twins (NYY 8, MIN 4).
The deadline for both clubs to set their 25-man ALDS roster was 10am ET on Thursday. Here are the players the Yankees will use in the best-of-5 series:
- Pitchers (12): RHP Dellin Betances, LHP Aroldis Chapman, LHP Jaime Garcia, RHP Sonny Gray, RHP Chad Green, RHP Tommy Kahnle, LHP Jordan Montgomery, RHP David Robertson, LHP CC Sabathia, RHP Luis Severino, RHP Masahiro Tanaka, RHP Adam Warren
- Catchers (2): Gary Sanchez, Austin Romine
- Infielders (6): 1B Greg Bird, 2B Starlin Castro, 3B Todd Frazier, SS Didi Gregorius, 1B/3B Chase Headley, UTIL Ronald Torreyes
- Outfielders (4): Jacoby Ellsbury, Brett Gardner, Aaron Hicks, Aaron Judge
- Designated Hitters (1): Matt Holliday
The Wild Card Game and LDS are considered separate postseason rounds, so the Yankees were able to make some changes to their roster following the Wild Card Game. They replaced left-hander Chasen Shreve, outfielder Clint Frazier, and utility man Tyler Wade with Tanaka, Garcia, and Montgomery, so the Yankees decided to load up their pitching staff.
The Yankees will start Gray in Game 1, Sabathia in Game 2, Tanaka in Game 3, and Severino in Game 4. Both Garcia and Montgomery are starters and give New York a pair of long men, if necessary. That could come in handy with Green and Robertson expected to be unavailable for Game 1 following their heavy Wild Card Game workloads.
Now here are the 25 players the Indians will use in the ALDS:
- Pitchers (11): RHP Cody Allen, RHP Trevor Bauer, RHP Carlos Carrasco, RHP Mike Clevinger, RHP Corey Kluber, LHP Andrew Miller, LHP Tyler Olson, RHP Danny Salazar, RHP Bryan Shaw, RHP Joe Smith, RHP Josh Tomlin
- Catchers (2): Yan Gomes, Roberto Perez
- Infielders (7): 1B Edwin Encarnacion, UTIL Erik Gonzalez, 2B/OF Jason Kipnis, SS Francisco Lindor, 2B/3B Jose Ramirez, 1B Carlos Santana, 3B Giovanny Urshela
- Outfielder (5): Greg Allen, Michael Brantley, Jay Bruce, Lonnie Chisenhall, Austin Jackson
Brantley, who missed the team's entire 2016 postseason run due to a pair of shoulder surgeries, returned from an ankle injury very late in the season and is expected to be limited to pinch-hitting in the ALDS. Also, Kipnis saw time in the outfield late in the season and could be asked to play there in the postseason as a way to get both Ramirez (at second) and Urshela (at third) into the lineup.
. Kluber will start Game 2 and Carrasco will start Game 3. Game 4 will go to either Bauer on short rest of Tomlin on extra rest.
"The situation the game was in, they might have been searching for something and they found...
Plus the Phillies won again. Here's everything you need to know from the world of baseball...
He thought Marcus Semien's dropped pop-up was ruled a hit a few innings earlier
The Red Sox were the hottest team in baseball going into the game
The Super Bowl party is far from over in Philadelphia
Torres came over from the Cubs in the Aroldis Chapman trade