All you need to know: MLB rumors, news roundup for Jan. 4
Insofar as Saturday's hot stove happenings are concerned, here's a full rundown of everything worth knowing.
Saturday is in the books, so now let's have a look at all you need know regarding the MLB hot stove ...
SIGNINGS AND AGREEMENTS
- Padres: Have signed 3B Brandon Wood to a minor-league contract. The deal does not include an invitation to major-league spring training. Wood, now 28, was once one of the top prospects in all of baseball, but he was never able to transition to the highest level, mostly because of his struggles making contact. He hasn't appeared in the majors since 2011. (Corey Brock via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, ETC.
- Nyjer Morgan: The veteran outfielder, 33, is open to returning to MLB next season after playing in Japan in 2013. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com)
- Masahiro Tanaka: Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York speculates that the Mariners could be the Yankees' biggest competition when it comes to signing Tanaka.
- Orioles: MASN's Roch Kubatko writes that the O's top priority is starting pitching. They're still hoping to sign A.J. Burnett, who hasn't decided whether he's going to pitch in 2014 or retire. The Pirates are also hoping to re-sign Burnett. (Related: Orioles have work to do)
- Twins: 2B prospect Eddie Rosario has been suspended 50 games for testing positive for a "drug of abuse" for the second time.
deGrom is set to become a free agent after the 2020 season
Perkins missed most of the last two seasons due to injury
Jonathan Singleton was suspended after a third positive test for a drug of abuse
Rodriguez will join Jessica Mendoza and Matt Vasgersian on the "Sunday Night Baseball" boo...
Jeff Wilpon talked about payroll on Tuesday, and it won't make any Mets fan happy
Yelich's agent recently asked the Marlins to trade him before the spring