Clay Buchholz unable to throw from mound on Saturday, no timetable
Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz had been hoping to begin a minor-league rehab assignment on Tuesday, but now that's not going to happen.
Red Sox ace Clay Buchholz, who hasn't pitched since June 8 because of a neck strain, had been hoping to throw a bullpen session on Saturday and then begin a minor-league rehab assignment next Tuesday. However, as Evan Drellich of MassLive.com reports, Buchholz's ongoing neck discomfort prevented him from proceeding as planned on Saturday in Detroit. As a consequence, Buchholz will not be able to start his rehab stint on Tuesday.
"Basically what we're doing is going as tolerated with throwing," said Boston manager John Farrell. "It's likely that, at some point, we're probably going to have to get him out on a rehab assignment, at least one start for now. But there's no timeframe for that. We've got to get him on the mound first and build first."
As Drellich points out, Buccholz was able to throw from flat ground on Saturday, but thus far working from a mound has not proved possible.
Looking ahead, the Red Sox might need to recall Allen Webster or another Triple-A arm to make the start next Saturday at home against the surging Blue Jays.
This season, the 28-year-old Buchholz has gone 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 2.79 K/BB ratio across 12 starts.
Plus the Indians are now 27-1 in their last 28 games. Here is everything you need to know from...
The soon-to-be 43-year-old Dickey said he wants to spend more time with his family
The two NL Central rivals opened a four-game series at Miller Park on Thursday night
The ballparks in Cincinnati, San Diego and Seattle will have expanded netting in place by Opening...
Mondesi spent six years as the mayor of San Cristobal in the Dominican Republic after reti...
The veteran skipper has been Mets manager since the start of the 2011 season