trevor-bauer-9.png
Getty Images

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer is currently on paid administrative leave as Major League Baseball investigates allegations of sexual assault made by a woman in June. Police in Pasadena, California, are investigating the allegations separately. The woman obtained a protection order against Bauer, and a restraining order hearing is set to begin Monday, Aug. 16.

On Saturday, Gus Garcia-Roberts and Molly Hensley-Clancy of the Washington Post reported Bauer was the subject of a separate protection order sought by a different woman in Ohio last year. The woman alleged Bauer threatened her physically, and also threatened to disseminate video of the two engaged in a sex act to a member of the woman's family.

Here are details from the Washington Post:

An Ohio woman sought the order in June 2020 after repeated threats from the then-Cincinnati Reds pitcher, according to her lawyer and records separately obtained by The Post. Photographs independently obtained by The Post also show bruises on the woman's face and blood in her eyes, which her attorney said was caused by Bauer punching and choking her during sex without consent.

...

The Post also obtained copies of messages Bauer allegedly sent the woman, which her lawyers said prompted her to seek an order of protection. "I don't feel like spending time in jail for killing someone," reads one. "And that's what would happen if I saw you again."

The allegations that Bauer choked and punched the woman during sex without her consent are similar to the most recent allegations made against Bauer in California. Bauer and his representatives have called the most recent allegations in California "categorically false," and questioned the validity of the photographs of the woman's injuries.

In a statement released on social media Saturday, Bauer accused the Washington Post of creating a "false narrative," and said the woman in Ohio was attempting to extort money.

Bauer also released a formal statement from his representatives, which says the Ohio woman "resorted to threats and filed a bogus protection petition as a ruse to demand millions of dollars" after he refused to continue their relationship.

The Dodgers declined to comment when asked by the Washington Post whether they were aware of the allegations made against Bauer in Ohio prior to signing him this past offseason. 

Los Angeles signed Bauer to a three-year, $102 million contract with multiple opt-outs. Under the joint domestic violence policy, the Dodgers can not release Bauer until the investigation is complete and he serves any discipline. If the team does release him, they would still own him the balance of his contract.  

MLB's domestic violence policy was implemented in 2016 and 13 players have since been disciplined, with suspensions ranging from 14 games to 162 games. MLB typically waits until the legal process plays out before completing its investigation. In the hearing scheduled to begin on Monday, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge will decide whether the temporary restraining order against Bauer should remain in effect.

Bauer, 30, went 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 17 starts prior to being placed on administrative leave.