MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for July 1
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, July 2 (click here for today's scores) …
- Heyman also has the seven names who are currently candidates to become the Padres' next GM.
- Giants: CF Angel Pagan, who's presently on the DL, suffered a setback with his lower back injury and will see a specialist on Wednesday. Pagan had been hoping to come off the DL on Tuesday, but now his timetable is uncertain. The Giants could use him back, as the skilled fly-catcher is batting .307/.356/.411 (121 OPS+) on the season. (Andrew Baggarly via Twitter)
- Phillies: LHP Cliff Lee (elbow) threw a three-inning simulated game on Wednesday and could be ready to begin a minor-league rehab assignment on Sunday. (Todd Zolecki, MLB.com) ... C Carlos Ruiz (concussion) will not come off the 7-day DL when first eligible on Friday. The team says his concussion is somewhat more serious than initially believed. (Matt Gelb, Philadelphia Inquirer).
- Twins: 1B Joe Mauer exited Tuesday night's game with a strained oblique. He's been dealing with the injury for a little while now, but what happened Tuesday worsened it. (Rhett Bollinger via Twitter)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Red Sox: Released LHP Chris Capuano.
Ohtani is arguably the best hitter and pitcher in Japan
The O's need rotation help, and Cobb is available for hire
The Red Sox and Cardinals are expected to make trade offers next
The free agent first baseman may be a fit in St. Louis
The front office changes in Atlanta continue
The Marlins are more likely than you think on our list