MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for July 26
Saturday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, July 26 (click here for today's scores) …
- San Francisco Giants , Boston Red Sox : As CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reported, the Red Sox sent RHP Jake Peavy to the Giants in exchange for minor-league pitchers Heath Hembree and Edwin Escobar.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Los Angeles Angels : Signed LHP Randy Wolf to a minor-league deal.
- Houston Astros : Will reportedly promote RHP Mark Appel to Double-A.
- St. Louis Cardinals : Designated C George Kottaras for assignment in order to make room on the roster for the newly signed C A.J. Pierzynski.
- Philadelphia Phillies : Our own Jon Heyman writes that OF Marlon Byrd may want his option picked up before he approves a trade out of Philly.
- Toronto Blue Jays : 1B Edwin Encarnacion has suffered a minor setback in his recovery from a quad injury. His immediate time-table isn't certain.
- Giants: Why did the Giants swing a deal for Peavy? Because they're worried about the health of Matt Cain . As a source tells Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, Cain may have a "significant" number of bone chips in the elbow. If that's the case, then Cain's status this season may be up in the air. He's been on the DL since July 11 ... The Giants placed C Hector Sanchez on the 7-day concussion DL.
- Cleveland Indians : RHP Justin Masterson (knee) is slated to be activated from the DL in time to start on Friday. (Jordan Bastian via Twitter)
- New York Mets : Placed RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka on the DL with elbow inflammation.