MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for July 5
Saturday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Saturday, July 5 (click here for today's scores) …
- Blue Jays: 1B Edwin Encarnacion left Saturday night's game with a sore right quad. (Shi Davidi via Twitter) Manager John Gibbons later said it seemed like than Encarnacion would go on the DL. (Davidi) Encarnacion is batting .278/.369/.593 (160 OPS+) on the season with 26 homers in 88 games. Needless to say, his loss would be a blow to the Jays.
- Yankees: RHP Michael Pineda (shoulder) hasn't seen game action since April 23, has been playing catch, and now Joe Girardi says the 25-year-old may be able to start throwing from a mound by the end of next week. Girardi previously stated that the Yankees were hoping to get Pineda back by August. (Alex M. Smith, MLB.com)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Athletics: Optioned LHP Tommy Milone to Triple-A Sacramento.
- Blue Jays: Claimed OF Cole Gillespie off waivers from the Mariners.
- Diamondbacks: Signed RHP Kameron Loe to a minor-league deal.
- Marlins: Optioned LHP Andrew Heaney back to Triple-A New Orleans.
Boston wants to add two big bats to their lineup, not just one
Even more relievers signed on the final day of the Winter Meetings
Keep tabs on the top 50 free agents right here
The league is not happy Ohtani's medical information leaked
Kansas City and Baltimore were quite busy at the Rule 5 Draft
Piscotty's mother was diagnosed with ALS earlier this year