MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for June 17
Tuesday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, June 17 (click here for today's scores) …
- Oakland Athletics : LHP Drew Pomeranz has been placed on the DL with a fractured non-throwing hand. The injury is the result of his hitting a chair in frustration.
- Atlanta Braves : Placed RHP David Carpenter on the DL with a biceps injury.
- Washington Nationals : OF Bryce Harper (thumb) swung the bat with both hands on Tuesday, and the team now thinks he may be ready to come off the DL in about two weeks. Harper, who's batting .289/.352/.422 on the season, hasn't played since April 25. (Adam Kilgore, Washington Post)
- San Diego Padres : 2B Jedd Gyorko (plantar fasciitis) isn't ready to come off the DL and may not be for some time. (Dennis Lin via Twitter)
- Philadelphia Phillies : LHP Cliff Lee (elbow) on Tuesday was able to throw from a mound for the first time since going on the DL on May 20. According to GM Ruben Amaro Jr., Lee, assuming no setbacks, could be ready to rejoin the rotation by the fourth of July. (Jim Salibury, CSN Philly)
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Athletics, Milwaukee Brewers : The A's acquired LHP Brad Mills from the Brewers in exchange for cash considerations.
- Texas Rangers : Signed 1B Carlos Pena to a minor-league contract.
- Boston Red Sox : Have designated OF Grady Sizemore for assignment.
Maxwell joins a growing movement across sports
The Yankees punched their ticket to the playoffs with a win over the Blue Jays on Saturday
Sabathia's stance seems to be an increasingly popular one among athletes
Plus the A's have hope and all the rest of the day's action
Matt Chapman and Matt Olson give the A's hope
Despite an awful month, the Dodgers are again NL West champions