MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for June 5
Thursday's MLB recap -- news, transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Here's all that's worth knowing for Thursday, June 5 (click here for today's scores) …
- Our MLB insider writes that the Milwaukee Brewers and Seattle Mariners are among the teams in pursuit of free agent 1B/DH Kendrys Morales . Morales is expected to sign in a matter of days.
- Heyman also reports that, while Pittsburgh Pirates OF prospect Gregory Polanco will likely be called up soon, he's probably not going to come terms on a long-term contract right away.
- Los Angeles Angels : Mike Trout (back) was back in the lineup at DH on Thursday night. He went 2-for-5 with a double and a triple in the loss to Houston.
- Astros: RHP prospect Mark Appel has been dealing with tendinitis in his pitching thumb. (Brian McTaggart, MLB.com)
- New York Mets : RHP prospect Noah Syndergaard suffered an apparent injury to his non-throwing shoulder/collarbone while covering home plate for Triple-A Las Vegas on Thursday night. He underwent X-rays, but his status going forward isn't yet known. Syndergaard had been sidelined since May 21 with a strained forearm tendon. (Adam Rubin, ESPN New York)
- Washington Nationals : The team is hoping that OF Bryce Harper (thumb) will be ready to come off the DL by July 1. (Mark Zuckerman, CSN Washington)
- Texas Rangers : RHP Alexi Ogando has ligament damage in his elbow and will be shut down, likely for a minimum of six weeks. He doesn't appear to need surgery, though. (T.R. Sullivan, MLB.com)
- Cincinnati Reds : It's not certain when 1B Joey Votto (quad) will be able to begin a minor-league rehab assignment. (John Fay, Cincinnati Enquirer)
- Colorado Rockies : RHP Jordan Lyles has suffered a broken left hand. It's not yet certain how long he'll be sidelined ... LHP Boone Logan has been placed on the DL with elbow inflammation.