MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for March 18
Tuesday's full spring training recap -- transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
On the MLB spring training front, here's all that's worth knowing for Tuesday, March 18 ...
- Our man in the chopper writes that Indians ace Justin Masterson still hasn't heard back from the team after making some (very reasonable) proposals for a contract extension. Masterson, 28, is eligible for free agency next offseason. Elsewhere, Heyman writes that Grady Sizemore is making a strong bid to be the Red Sox's starting center fielding on opening day.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Astros: Jayson Stark tweets that the Astros are interested in acquiring a first baseman via trade.
- Cardinals: The team has cut ties with longtime team medical director Dr. George Paletta, reports Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Pirates: Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes that the Pirates may be shopping OF Jose Tabata, reliever Vin Mazzaro and OF Travis Snider.
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Indians: Have signed RHP Adam Miller to a minor-league contract.
- Rangers: DH Mitch Moreland has a strained left oblique and may be forced to open the season on the DL ... T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes that SS Elvis Andrus has been shut down with a sore right elbow. He won't throw for at least the next three days and won't play before this weekend.
Where might the Orioles third baseman land?
Kinsler will slot in at second base for the Angels
The Marlins got a better return for Ozuna than Stanton or Gordon
The two teams are going about things in very different ways
The Marlins are indeed in teardown mode under new ownership
The Marlins still have more attractive pieces