MLB rumors, injuries and news roundup for March 31
Monday's news recap -- transactions, rumors and injury updates -- can be found within.
Now that Opening Day is behind us, here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, March 31 (click here for today's scores) ...
SIGNINGS & AGREEMENTS
- Athletics: Signed RHP Joe Blanton to a minor-league contract.
- Mets: Announced that they signed OF Bobby Abreu to a minor-league deal. He'll report to Triple-A Las Vegas.
RUMORS, SPECULATION, NEWS, ETC.
- Brewers: MLB.com's Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers will go with Francisco Rodriguez and not Jim Henderson as their closer for the time being. Rodriguez earned the save in Monday's win over the Braves. As McCalvy writes, the team was concerned about Henderson's "diminished velocity and 'life'" in toward the end of spring training. K-Rod needs five more saves to tie him with Goose Gossage for 20th place on the all-time list ... Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the Brewers and SS Jean Segura have ceased talking contract extension for the time being.
- Cubs: Team president Theo Epstein says he'll no longer publicly discuss the contract or trade status of RHP Jeff Samardzija . (Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune)
- Indians: The team could still talk contract extension with 2B Jason Kipnis even after the season has begun. (Ken Rosenthal via Twitter)
- Rangers: Have released RHP Jose Contreras.
- White Sox: Matt Lindstrom appears set to work as the Sox's closer, at least for the time being. (Daryl Van Schouwen via Twitter)
- Angels: Batting coach Don Baylor suffered a fractured femur while catching the ceremonial first pitch on Monday night. He'll undergo surgery on Tuesday.
- Blue Jays: Have placed SS Jose Reyes on the DL with a tight hamstring.
- Diamondbacks: As expected, reliever David Hernandez will undergo Tommy John surgery. (Jack Magruder via Twitter)
- Nationals: C Wilson Ramos may have broken a bone in his hand on Monday. He'll see a hand specialist on Tuesday.
- Rangers: MGR Ron Washington says he was "very encouraged" by the Sunday bullpen sessionof RHP Yu Darvish (neck).
- Red Sox: Have placed OF Shane Victorino on the 15-day DL with a right hamstring injury. Jackie Bradley Jr. has been recalled to take his place on the active roster.
- Rockies: RHP Tyler Chatwood will go on the disabled list because of a hamstring injury. Jordan Lyles will start in his place on Wednesday. (Troy Renck, Denver Post)