Spring training injury update: Freese homers in return to lineup
David Freese, Rafael Soriano, Ryan Madson and Stephen Drew are all included in Thursday's injury recap.
The Dodgers were dealt a pretty big blow Thursday, as shortstop Hanley Ramirez will miss the next eight weeks following thumb surgery. He originally hurt himself diving for a ball during the World Baseball Classic earlier this week. Los Angeles will rely on the less than ideal duo of Luis Cruz and Juan Uribe on the left side of the infield until Ramirez returns.
Here are the rest of Thursday's injury updates:
- Angels: RHP Ryan Madson (elbow) threw a 25-pitch bullpen session, his third of the spring. He'll do it again Sunday. (Orange County Register)
- Astros: 1B Brett Wallace left Houston's game with pinched nerve in his left trap and is day-to-day. (MLB.com)
- Cardinals: 3B David Freese (tailbone) returned to the lineup and hit a home run. He missed about a week with the injury. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- Diamondbacks: SS Didi Gregorius (elbow) will begin throwing this weekend. Manager Kirk Gibson believes he'll be ready by mid-April. (Peter Gammons)
- Giants: 2B Marco Scutaro was scratched from the lineup with back tightness. (CSN Bay Area)
- Nationals: RHP Rafael Soriano (root canal) is expected to pitch on Friday as scheduled. (CSN Washington)
- Pirates: 1B Gaby Sanchez was scratched from Pittsburgh's game with some kind of allergic reaction. (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review)
- Rays: OF Sam Fuld (hamstring) hit in a minor league game and will do the same Friday. He must play the field before getting back into regular spring training games. (Tampa Bay Times)
- Reds: OF Shin-Soo Choo (back spasms) took part in a workout, but he has yet to return to the lineup. He's been out since March 16. (Cincinnati Enquirer)
- Red Sox : SS Stephen Drew (concussion) has been cleared to resume baseball activity. There is no timetable for returning to game action, however (Providence Journal) ... IF Pedro Ciriaco (back spasms) is improving and could play in Saturday's game (ESPN Boston) ... 1B Lyle Overbay (back tightness) is expected to play the next two days. (ESPN Boston)
- White Sox: RHP Jesse Crain (groin) isn't getting any better. "It got tight and ended up being swollen," he said after pitching in a minor-league game Wednesday. (Chicago Sun-Times)
Could catcher J.T. Realmuto be the next Miami player to be traded?
If the slow-play for Martinez, Hosmer and Arrieta sounds familiar, it should
The Nats will host the All-Star Game in 2018
The Orioles are looking to trade Machado heading into his walk year
The Cardinals have been linked for a while to the Baltimore star
Gallardo spent the first eight years of his career in Milwaukee