Spring training injury update: Jason Heyward out with sore shoulder
Jason Heyward, Aramis Ramirez, Matt Holliday, Placido Polanco, Stephen Drew and others headline Monday's injury recap.
Monday's biggest injury knews concerned Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander Zack Greinke , who was diagnosed with inflammation in the back of his right elbow. He received PRP treatment and will be shut down 2-3 days before starting a throwing program. Here are the rest of Monday's updates:
- Oakland Athletics : RHP Fernando Rodriguez (right elbow tightness) left Monday's game. It's unclear how long he will be out. (MLB.com)
- Atlanta Braves : OF Jason Heyward (sore right shoulder) was scratched from Monday's lineup, but team officials made it clear it is a minor issue and they are just being cautious (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) ... RHP Jordan Walden (bulging disk) received an epidural last week and although the team is optimistic he will be ready in time for opening day, they aren't certain. (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- Milwaukee Brewers : 3B Aramis Ramirez (sprained left knee) was scheduled to run the bases on Monday, the final hurdle before he can be cleared to return to action. (Journal Sentinel)
- St. Louis Cardinals : OF Matt Holliday (stomach flu) will wait until Thursday before returning to game action (MLB.com) ... LHP Marc Rzepczynski has showed "big, big improvement" after being hit in the left eye by an unknown residue while playing golf last week. He has been cleared to throw, but there is no timetable for appearing in a game. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- Cleveland Indians : RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka left Monday's outing for an unknown reason, and manager Terry Francona said it was too early to know if his next start would be pushed back. "We'll just have to see where it's at," added the skipper. (MLB.com)
- Miami Marlins : 3B Placido Polanco (oblique) took batting practice on Monday, but throwing is still an issue. Manager Mike Redmond hopes his third baseman hopes he can return in 3-4 days (Palm Beach Post) ... OF Jake Marisnick has a broken bone in his left hand and will miss about a month. He was acquired from the Toronto Blue Jays in this winter's 12-player blockbuster trade. (Palm Beach Post)
- New York Mets : OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis (bone bruise on left knee) is targeting Wednesday for his return to outdoor baseball activities. He's been limited to working out in a pool and walking on a treadmill. (New York Times)
- Texas Rangers : LHP Matt Harrison (inflammation in toe) is scheduled to start a minor league game on Tuesday ... LHP Martin Perez (fractured wrist) is not expected to begin a throwing program for three weeks ... 1B Mitch Moreland (tight right quad) returned to the lineup on Monday. (ESPN Dallas)
- Boston Red Sox : SS Stephen Drew (concussion) is feeling better but still has to be cleared by MLB before he can return to game action. He's missed four days so far. (Boston Globe)
- Minnesota Twins : 3B Trevor Plouffe (calf) underwent an MRI and the results were "favorable." GM Terry Ryan doesn't expect him to be out more than a week. (MLB.com)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter, subscribe to the RSS feed and "like" us on Facebook. Also, individually interact with us on Twitter: @MattSnyder27, @daynperry and @mikeaxisa.