Ceciliani (shoulder) was outrighted off the Blue Jays' 40-man roster Wednesday, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Ceciliani appeared in just three games last season before picking up a shoulder injury that eventually required season-ending surgery. The 27-year-old has just 109 major-league plate appearances under his belt -- producing an unsightly .190/.250/.300 slash line during that stretch -- so he'll likely continue to serve as organizational outfield depth next season.
Ceciliani (shoulder) underwent surgery on his shoulder Thursday and is out for the season, Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports.
Ceciliani was on a rehab assignment with Triple-A Buffalo in late July when he re-injured his shoulder. The 27-year-old partially dislocated it in May on a home run swing, and he winds up with a very brief 2017 season, going 2-for-5 with a home run in three games for the Blue Jays.
Ceciliani, currently with Triple-A Buffalo on a rehab assignment, left Friday's game in the third inning when his shoulder started to bother him, Amy Moritz of The Buffalo News reports.
Ceciliani is recovering from a partially dislocated shoulder, so this is already more worrisome than it normally would be. "He said he felt something not right with his shoulder," Bisons manager Bobby Meacham said. "I saw him swinging it around and around and [team athletic trainer Voon] Chong looked at him and said, yeah, we need to get him out. So he's going to go up to Toronto and they're going to have a doctor up there take a look at it."
Ceciliani (shoulder) will head to Triple-A Buffalo to continue his rehab assignment, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Ceciliani was placed on the disabled list in mid-May after partially dislocating his shoulder while hitting a home run. During the last week, the outfielder has gone 7-for-18 at High-A Dunedin, and is set to continue his rehab against stiffer competition with Buffalo.
Ceciliani (shoulder) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list Monday, MLB.com reports.
The transaction clears a spot on the 40-man roster for catcher Miguel Montero, whom the Blue Jays acquired in a trade with the Cubs on Monday. Ceciliani has been sidelined since May 18 with the shoulder injury, and while it's unclear how far along he is in the recovery process, the move to the 60-day DL means that he won't be eligible to return until after the All-Star break. Once he's activated, Ceciliani may not have a reserve spot waiting for him in the Toronto outfield, so he could immediately be optioned to Triple-A Buffalo.
Ceciliani (shoulder) will miss 2-3 weeks on the disabled list, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet reports.
Ceciliani bashed a double and a homer in his brief time up with the Blue Jays. His power is enticing, but his minor league numbers are underwhelming. As such, there's no guarantee the 27-year-old will have a job waiting for him upon his return.
Ceciliani (shoulder) was placed on the 10-day disabled list Friday, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports.
As expected, Ceciliani will head to the DL after partially dislocating his shoulder bashing a home run in Thursday's bout. No timetable for his return has been disclosed by the team yet, but in the meantime, prospect Anthony Alford will take his spot on the active roster.
Manager John Gibbons said that Ceciliani's shoulder injury will require a stint on the disabled list, Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports.
Ceciliani suffered a partially dislocated shoulder during Thursday's win over the Braves. With Kevin Pillar serving a two-game suspension, the Blue Jays will likely have to deploy either Ezequiel Carrera or Dwight Smith for Friday's series opener against the Orioles. A timeline on Ceciliani's recovery will likely be made available after he's reevaluated in Baltimore on Friday. The Blue Jays will likely make a corresponding move prior to first pitch.
Ceciliani exited Thursday's game against the Braves with a shoulder injury and he will be reevaluated Friday, Hazel Mae of Sportsnet reports.
The outfielder was diagnosed with a left shoulder subluxation Thursday, which adds to a long list of injuries for the Blue Jays. He had gone 2-for-2 with with a home run and three RBI prior to being replaced by Dwight Smith in center field. Smith is a likely candidate to start in center Friday with Kevin Pillar serving a two-game suspension. More information on Ceciliani's outlook will be made available after his evaluation Friday.
Ceciliani was recalled from Triple-A Buffalo and will join the Jays for Tuesday's game against Atlanta, Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet.ca reports.
Ceciliani wasn't exactly tearing it up for the Bisons, slashing an unimpressive .145/.188/.158 through 21 games. Regardless, the 26-year-old will join the MLB squad for the third consecutive season. He appeared in 13 contests for the Jays in 2016, striking out 14 times in 29 plate appearances. The outfielder will provide depth off the bench, but Ceciliani isn't worth an add to any fantasy roster at the current time.
Ceciliani was activated from the 7-day DL and returned to Triple-A Buffalo's lineup on Tuesday.
The outfielder went 1-for-3 with a walk and one run scored in his return to the Bisons' lineup. Ceciliani will need to dirty up his cleats and log some at-bats before the Jays consider him for a call up. However, the 26-year-old is expected to bounce between levels as the 2017 season rolls along.
Ceciliani was placed on the 7-day DL for Triple-A Buffalo after suffering an injury while making a diving catch, Keegan Matheson of MLB.com reports.
Injuries are no stranger to Ceciliani, who missed a chunk of time at the beginning of the last season, too. He was able to bounce back with an .764 OPS and 10 home runs in the minors to earn himself a baker's dozen of games with the Jays. Ceciliani's latest ailment doesn't bode well for the outfielder's chances of cracking the big-league roster before summer rolls around -- which was a strong possibility before hitting the minor-league DL.
Ceciliani was optioned to minor-league camp Wednesday, John Lott of the Athletic reports.
The 26-year-old went on a nice run toward the middle of March which put him back in the conversation for a roster spot, but he then hit a 1-for-11 slide to close out his time in big-league spring training. While Ceciliani will likely report to Triple-A Buffalo to begin 2017, he could be a DFA candidate early on if the Blue Jays decide they need to add depth at another position.
Ceciliani has heated up this spring and put himself back in the conversation for an Opening Day outfield role, Mark Zwolinski of the Toronto Star reports.
After a slow start to the Grapefruit League season, Ceciliani has earned a seat at the table with a recent stretch of solid production. He leads the Jays in RBI (eight) this spring while managing the second-most hits on the team (14). In fairness, Ceciliani's 51 at-bats significantly exceeds most of the other players and there's no hiding the 29 percent strikeout rate he's racked up. Realistically, a platoon in left field is the best it will get for the 26-year-old, and even for that, Ceciliani will need to beat out trusted veteran Ezequiel Carrera. On the positive side, the 2009 fourth-round pick of the Mets is at least garnering some attention that could earn him some MLB playing time later in 2017.
Ceciliani went 0-for-2 with a strikeout Saturday against the Phillies.
Ceciliani has now gone down by strikes in four straight spring contests. He's 6-for-24 (.240) with just one walk and seven strikeouts through 11 Grapefruit League games. Ceciliani's lack of plate discipline has plagued him throughout his professional career, and unfortunately for the 26-year-old outfielder, he's once again showing that he's not ready to handle MLB pitching.
Ceciliani, who is last among all outfielders on the team's depth chart, is a candidate to be designated for assignment before the end of spring, SB Nation reports.
Ceciliani hasn't panned out as the Jays had hoped when they acquired him from the Mets last February. Even after an impressive push for a starting role last spring (15-for-36 with four homers and 10 RBI), the outfielder was sent to the minors to open the season. After slashing .345/.398/.581 at Triple-A Las Vegas (Mets) in 2015, Ceciliani disappointed with a .266/.323/.441 at Triple-A Buffalo in 2016. The Jays' outfield is even deeper now than it was a year ago, and the writing appears to be on the wall for the former fourth-round pick. However, a move may not be the worst thing for Ceciliani, as he's shown enough over his eight years to get a starting job for a team in need.
Ceciliani entered Monday's game versus the Yankees as a pinch runner, but did not play the field or get an at-bat.
Monday marked the first time Ceciliani has stepped between the lines since Sept. 9. After striking out in his only at-bat of the month, the outfielder didn't appear in the team's next 15 games, the longest such stretch in Ceciliani's short MLB career. Simply put, the 26-year-old is only on the team because of roster expansion and he's not expected to contribute during the final weeks.
Ceciliani has just one at-bat since being recalled when rosters expanded at the beginning of September.
Not that Ceciliani was expected to be too involved, but one at-bat -- which resulted in a strikeout -- is depressing, even for a September call-up. The team has a boatload of more talented outfielders and speedster Dalton Pompey is handling the rare pinch-running opportunities, leaving Ceciliani no room to get involved.
Ceciliani was promoted from Triple-A Buffalo on Friday, Shi Davidi of SportsNet reports.
Ceciliani has recorded 26 at-bats over 11 games with the big club this year, picking up just three hits and striking out 13 times. He posted better numbers with Buffalo, but still left much to be desired as he owned a .266 batting average and .323 on-base percentage at Triple-A.
Ceciliani was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo on Friday, Toronto play-by-play announcer Mike Wilner reports.
Given Toronto's injury woes in the outfield, Ceciliani's demotion to Triple-A on Friday comes as a bit of a surprise. That said, Ceciliani had struggled mightily at the dish since his Aug. 8 call-up, collecting just three hits in 23 at-bats. Ezequiel Carrera and Melvin Upton Jr. figure to start in left and center for the Blue Jays now that Ceciliani is down at Triple-A.
|10/1/2017 vs New York|
|vs Price (Career)||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Last 7 Games|
|Complete Game Log|
|More Batting Stats|
|Minor League Batting Stats|
|2011||AFX-Savannah Sand Gnats||109||421||62||109||23||4||4||40||52||96||25||8||.351||.361||.259|
|2012||AFA-St. Lucie Mets||23||85||19||28||6||1||1||10||10||13||2||0||.402||.459||.329|
|2015||AAA-Las Vegas 51s||70||229||50||79||19||4||9||36||21||48||16||4||.398||.581||.345|