The Bellator 258 card took a hit when Yoel Romero was forced to withdraw from his Light Heavyweight World Grand Prix bout with Anthony "Rumble" Johnson. But the event remains a strong card from the prelims to the bantamweight championship main event that sees Juan Archuleta put the title on the line against Sergio Pettis.
Archuleta captured the then-vacant bantamweight championship this past September, taking a clear unanimous decision over rising star Patchy Mix at Bellator 246. The win improved Archuleta to 7-1 in Bellator, the lone loss coming against Patricio Pitbull in the Featherweight World Grand Prix. In Pettis, Archuleta faces a former UFC fighter who has made a successful transition to Bellator, winning his first two fights in the promotion to earn a shot at the title.
Johnson is still in action on the card, facing replacement opponent Jose Augusto in the first round of the tournament. The winner advances to the tournament semifinal where they will face division champ Vadim Nemkov for the title and a trip to the finals. (Bellator and CBS Sports are both owned by ViacomCBS)
Can't get enough boxing and MMA? Get the latest in the world of combat sports from two of the best in the business. Subscribe to Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell for the best analysis and in-depth news, including a lookahead to Bellator 258 below.
Plus, this card marks the return of Michael "Venom" Page when he takes on Derek Anderson in a catchweight bout at 175 pounds. Page is hoping to get back into title contention after losing by vicious knockout to current champ Douglas Lima in 2019. "MVP" remains an incredibly dangerous striker with a pension for knockouts, but faces a tough test in the durable Anderson.
Bellator 258 fight card
- Juan Archuleta (c) -170 vs. Sergio Pettis +145, bantamweight title
- Anthony Johnson -440 vs. Jose Augusto +340, light heavyweights
- Patricky Pitbull -270 vs. Peter Queally +220, lightweights
- Michael Page -280 vs. Derek Anderson +230, 175-pound catchweights
- Raufeon Stots -220 vs. Josh Hill +180, bantamweights
- Lorenz Larkin -195 vs. Rafael Carvalho +165, middleweights
- Patchy Mix -800 vs. Albert Morales +550, bantamweights
- Logan Storley -1100 vs. Omar Huessein +700, welterweights
- Johnny Eblen -400 vs. Daniel Madrid +310, middleweights
- Henry Corrales -700 vs. Johnny Campbell +500, bantamweights
- Weber Almeida -500 vs. Johnny Soto +380, featherweights
- Erik Perez -500 vs. Blaine Shutt +380, bantamweights
Bellator 258 info
- Date: May 7
- Location: Mohegan Sun Arena -- Uncasville, Connecticut
- Start time: 9 p.m. ET (Main card)
- How to watch: Showtime