Angry with Dana White, Jose Aldo wants release from UFC, says he plans to retire
The former champion may call it a career after not being scheduled to face Conor McGregor
Interim featherweight champion Jose Aldo is done dealing with UFC. Aldo, who was promised to get his rematch with McGregor after beating Frankie Edgar at UFC 200, was expecting to have that fight at some point this year after McGregor's rematch with Nate Diaz in August.
But when it was announced that McGregor go after Eddie Alvarez's lightweight title in the main event of UFC 205 on Nov. 12, Aldo lost the desire to fight for his rematch, according to Brazilian outlet Combate.
"I heard about everything that happened through my coach," Aldo said via MMAFighting.com. "He had spoken with [UFC matchmaker] Sean Shelby Saturday and Sean still had no answer about anything, and asked if I could fight on Nov. 12. My coach said that if it would be Conor, yes, and then Sean asked him if I would fight Max Holloway or Anthony Pettis. 'Dede' [Pederneiras] said that for those, I'd rather do a full camp and it could be on Dec. 10.
"We waited until Dana publicly said that he wanted this fight with McGregor to happen. And then we expected it to happen: I'd get my rematch to unify the featherweight belts, or I'd have my belt back and fight Holloway or Pettis, since Dana [White] said all the time that Conor couldn't keep both belts. But, to my surprise, I heard last night about the fight between McGregor and Eddie Alvarez, which was also denied by Dana last week. And to make it worse, he would keep the featherweight belt, and possibly having two belts at the same time."
White said earlier in the day that McGregor would have to give up one of his belts if he was victorious. McGregor then said at the UFC 205 press conference that "they're going to have to gather an army together to take these belts off of me."
Because of all this, Aldo said he doesn't believe White anymore and is done with the promotion.
"Conor himself said before that he wouldn't give his belt away by any chance and nobody would take it away from him," Aldo said. "After all this, I see I can't trust any word from president Dana White, and who's in charge of the promotion now is Conor McGregor. Since I'm not here to be an employee of McGregor, today I ask to cancel my contract with the UFC. When they offered me a fight with Frankie Edgar, Dana said that the winner would challenge McGregor or win the linear title, that he would lose his belt if he didn't return to the featherweight division after his rematch with Nate Diaz. After being fooled so many times, I don't feel motivated to fight in the UFC anymore."
White said he would offer a solution to Aldo after Tuesday's press conference, but Aldo said he's at peace with his decision and wants to retire.
Aldo had one of the most illustrious careers in MMA history, defending his UFC/WEC featherweight title 10 consecutive times before falling to McGregor in December 2015. It was the fourth longest title run in UFC history and tied with Anderson Silva when including his WEC run.
'The Big Ticket' is making some big noise in the heavyweight division
Hardy needed just 45 seconds to finish off his opponent in San Antonio on Saturday night
Kyle Marley won the first-ever 'ToutMaster' UFC betting contest
UFC heads to San Antonio this weekend for a welterweight showdown
Cerrone will be making his fourth appearance in the Octagon this year
DFS pro Mike McClure reveals his optimal DraftKings lineup for UFC on ESPN 4.