Dwight Howard Buzz 7.3.13: Rockets favored by oddsmakers
Dwight Howard met with the Mavericks and Lakers on Tuesday, and here's the latest info on the meetings.
The latest, greatest and, in most cases, lamest updates on the continuing race for Dwight Howard.
Update Wednesday, 10 a.m. ET:
- Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports Howard and his team are headed to either Colorado or Montana to ponder the decision, and that Howard will not be hosting a television show a la "The Decision'' to announce where he's going.
- Rockets discussed keeping Howard involved in front-office decisions because that's obviously a great idea.
- Hawks at 19-2, and Golden State 10-1.
- Dirk Nowitzki, GM Donnie Nelson and owner Mark Cuban to pitch Howard on Tuesday morning. The meeting reportedly lasted three hours.
- Staples Center-owning entity AEG brought a representative to the Lakers meeting, another sign of the awesome financial power behind the Lakers.
- Steve Nash and Mike D'Antoni were among those at the meeting, which is odd considering the reportedly strained relationship between D'Antoni and Dwight.
- Nash: "I thought it was a very productive meeting. We talked about last year and how it can be built on"
— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) July 2, 2013
D'Antoni:'The Lakers put on a great presentation. You do what you have to do. Dwight will make his decision."— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) July 2, 2013
Nash: 'We talked about last year and how it could be different. We want to find a way to get him back, regroup, re tool and make it happen.'— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) July 2, 2013
Dwight just left. 'I can't talk. I had a lot of great meetings..'— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) July 2, 2013
- The Lakers released a statement after the meeting, because this whole thing wasn't bizarre enough.
“Jim Buss, Mike D’Antoni, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Tim Harris and I, along with representatives from our partners at Time Warner Cable SportsNet and AEG, met this afternoon for approximately two hours with Dwight Howard and his representatives Dan Fegan and Happy Walters. At the meeting, we told him how important he is to the Lakers team, franchise, fans and community, and why we feel this is the best place for him to continue his career. We are hopeful that Dwight decides to remain a Laker.”
- Ken Berger breaks down what the decision really comes down to for Dwight and what turning down the Lakers would mean.
- Josh Smith to sweeten the deal.
- Jeanie Buss did not attend the meeting.
- Phil Jackson did not attend the meeting.
- Jack Nicholson was part of a video pitch to Howard from various celebrities.
- ESPN reports the Lakers feel better about their situation, but that it's still 50/50.
- You can read more analysis on the situation in our Dwight Howard free agency power rankings.
- And now ... we wait.
Kevin Garnett has no interest in working with Glen Taylor, but he'd gladly buy the Timberwolves...
LaVar Ball formed a pop up shop in New York to sell Big Baller Brand merchandise. The results...
The Cavaliers players took a stand against bullying on social media
The Rockets are gunning for their 10th consecutive win
Victor Oladipo just wants to live his life and enjoy his breakout season with his new team
Keep it right here for all of the news, notes, scores, and highlights from around the Asso...