Eye on Basketball Podcast: 'Patrick & Zo' Director Jon Weinbach
Zach Harper talks with director Jon Weinbach on the documentary Patrick & Zo, an SI film about Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning.
Director Jon Weinbach of Mandalay Sports Media joins the podcast for the third time to discuss his latest project. Jon has joined before to discuss the CBS documentary Summer Dreams and again for Kareem: Minority of One about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's fascinating life and career. This time, he's done a short documentary for Sports Illustrated called Patrick & Zo on the bond between Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning.
Here are the topics we discuss:
- Why is Patrick Ewing overlooked or just forgotten as one of the titans of the NBA during his era?
- What was it like for him growing up and spending his collegiate career at Georgetown?
- How influential has he been on so many different aspects of the game of basketball at different levels?
- How was he able to keep his friendship off the court with Alonzo Mourning from interfering with their play on the court?
- In what ways did we see Ewing mentor Mourning?
- The time Mourning needed a kidney transplant and Ewing wasn't allowed to give it despite being a match.
It's wonderful search into a pretty special friendship between Ewing and Mourning, which dates back to their connection through Georgetown, their rivalry in the NBA, and beyond the court.
Cuban said on Dr. J's podcast that losing is Dallas' 'best option'
The Mavericks owner took sole responsibility for keeping the writer on staff: 'It was a horrible...
The investigation detailed a corrosive workplace environment
Also, when -- or rather, will -- the Warriors flip the switch?
The versatile forward has one glaring weakness, but Toronto can see it turning into a stre...
The investigation detailed a hostile workplace environment