Through 3 Quarters
The Houston Rockets are giving their home crowd exactly what it was hoping to see. They have emerged as the frontrunner after three quarters and are ahead of the New Orleans Pelicans 94-85.
The Rockets have been relying on shooting guard Eric Gordon, who has 23 points and five assists, and power forward Christian Wood, who has shot 5-for-6 from downtown and has recorded 22 points and five boards. Gordon is close to surpassing his season high of 24. One thing to keep an eye out for is Alperen Sengun's foul situation as he currently sits at four.
Small forward Brandon Ingram has led the way so far for New Orleans, as he has 33 points along with five rebounds.
New Orleans has lost 94% of the time when they were down heading into the fourth quarter this year, so this one seems just about wrapped up
New Orleans @ Houston
Current Records: New Orleans 7-18; Houston 6-16
What to Know
Get ready for a Southwest Division battle as the Houston Rockets and the New Orleans Pelicans will face off at 7 p.m. ET Sunday at Toyota Center. Houston is out to keep their four-game home win streak alive.
It was a close one, but this past Friday the Rockets sidestepped the Orlando Magic for a 118-116 win. Kudos to the oddsmakers for accurately forecasting both the winner and the close margin. Houston can attribute much of their success to power forward Christian Wood, who dropped a double-double on 20 points and 14 rebounds, and shooting guard Eric Gordon, who had 24 points.
Meanwhile, while not quite a landslide, the contest between New Orleans and the Dallas Mavericks this past Friday was still a pretty decisive one as New Orleans wrapped it up with a 107-91 victory on the road. New Orleans can attribute much of their success to small forward Brandon Ingram, who almost posted a triple-double on 24 points, 12 assists, and eight boards.
The Rockets are now 6-16 while the Pelicans sit at 7-18. A couple defensive numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: Houston is fourth worst in the league in points allowed per game, with 112 on average. New Orleans has experienced some struggles of their own as they have allowed their opponents to shoot 47.30% from the floor on average, which is the third highest shooting percentage allowed in the league. It's possible one of these Achilles' heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Sunday at 7 p.m. ET
- Where: Toyota Center -- Houston, Texas
- TV: ATTSN Southwest
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $14.00
The Pelicans are a slight 2.5-point favorite against the Rockets, according to the latest NBA odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Pelicans as a 3-point favorite.
Houston have won 15 out of their last 23 games against New Orleans.
- Apr 04, 2021 - New Orleans 122 vs. Houston 115
- Feb 09, 2021 - New Orleans 130 vs. Houston 101
- Jan 30, 2021 - Houston 126 vs. New Orleans 112
- Feb 02, 2020 - Houston 117 vs. New Orleans 109
- Dec 29, 2019 - New Orleans 127 vs. Houston 112
- Nov 11, 2019 - Houston 122 vs. New Orleans 116
- Oct 26, 2019 - Houston 126 vs. New Orleans 123
- Mar 24, 2019 - Houston 113 vs. New Orleans 90
- Jan 29, 2019 - New Orleans 121 vs. Houston 116
- Dec 29, 2018 - Houston 108 vs. New Orleans 104
- Oct 17, 2018 - New Orleans 131 vs. Houston 112
- Mar 24, 2018 - Houston 114 vs. New Orleans 91
- Mar 17, 2018 - Houston 107 vs. New Orleans 101
- Jan 26, 2018 - New Orleans 115 vs. Houston 113
- Dec 11, 2017 - Houston 130 vs. New Orleans 123
- Mar 24, 2017 - Houston 117 vs. New Orleans 107
- Mar 17, 2017 - New Orleans 128 vs. Houston 112
- Feb 23, 2017 - Houston 129 vs. New Orleans 99
- Dec 16, 2016 - Houston 122 vs. New Orleans 100
- Mar 02, 2016 - Houston 100 vs. New Orleans 95
- Jan 25, 2016 - Houston 112 vs. New Orleans 111
- Dec 26, 2015 - New Orleans 110 vs. Houston 108
- Dec 02, 2015 - Houston 108 vs. New Orleans 101
Injury Report for Houston
- Kevin Porter: Out (Thigh)
- Usman Garuba: Out (Thigh)
- Jalen Green: Out (Hamstring)
- John Wall: Out (Not Injury Related)
Injury Report for New Orleans
- Josh Hart: Out (Knee)
- Daulton Hommes: Out (Leg)
- Zion Williamson: Out (Foot)