Joel Embiid injury update: Sixers' big man will play on Christmas vs. Knicks
Embiid has missed five of the Sixers' 11 games in December
Joel Embiid confirms he'll be in the starting lineup against the Knicks.
Injury prone big man Joel Embiid has been fairly healthy this season, which has been good news for the Philadelphia 76ers. With Embiid on the court, the team is 13-11, but when he sits, they're a putrid 1-7. Thus, his recent struggles with back problems -- he's missed five of the Sixers' past eight games -- were concerning.
Latest Embiid injury update:
After missing three straight games with a sore back, Embiid returned to action on Saturday against the Toronto Raptors, finishing with 14 points and eight rebounds in the Sixers' loss. As it turned out, his sore back was not of any serious concern to the Sixers, and would not keep him out long-term, were correct.
However, Embiid noted after the game that even though he suited up, he was not at 100 percent. Via the Philadelphia Inquirer:
"I felt I was [lousy] and the whole team was [lousy]," Embiid said. "We committed too many turnovers and we didn't share the ball."
Even though he had three blocks, Embiid didn't move the way he normally does on defense.
He said he didn't feel at his best during warm-ups. But Embiid hates sitting out and was determined to play.
As of Christmas morning, Embiid was listed as a game time decision for the big showdown with Kristaps Porzingis.
Embiid's injury history
Here is a timeline outlining Embiid's various injury problems throughout his career.
- Dec. 10, 2017 -- Embiid sat out against the Pelicans because of a stiff back. He returned for the team's next two games, but then missed three games in a row to rest his sore back again. Eventually he returned to action on Saturday, and is expected to play on Christmas.
- March 22, 2017 -- Sixers announce Embiid actually for the torn meniscus, which was worse than originally thought. He missed the remainder of the season.
- Feb. 12, 2017 -- Embiid is diagnosed , but Sixers say it won't require surgery.
- Aug. 18, 2015 -- Embiid to address the broken foot that never healed correctly.
- July 11, 2015 -- Sixers announce that Embiid 2015-16 season as well after suffering a setback in his recovery from his broken foot.
- June 20, 2014 -- Embiid for a broken bone in his right foot. The injury ended up keeping him out for the entire 2014-15 season.
- March 9, 2013 -- It is announced that Embiid for Kansas with a back injury. He ended up not playing again for the school after it turned out he had suffered a in his back.
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
The Raptors won an overtime thriller in Game 3 to
Get the complete schedule and results for the NBA playoffs, along with viewing information
Golden State came back from 17 down for the third straight game to win in overtime
Curry and Green are the first pair of teammates to record a triple-double in the same game...
The Warriors won a thriller in overtime to complete the sweep and advance to the Finals
Our NBA experts predict the winner of every playoff round, all the way through the Finals