NBA games Tuesday, scores, highlights: Towns scores big and Wolves beat Wizards
We have all the news, notes, scores and highlights from Tuesday in the NBA
With a whopping 11 games on Tuesday's schedule, this was one of the busiest nights of the NBA season. And with how closely contested the playoff races are in each conference, there was plenty on the line with 22 of the league's 30 teams take the floor.
The Nets were officially eliminated from playoff contention after their loss to the Raptors and the Timberwolves got a huge win to keep themselves in the tight playoff race out west. Karl-Anthony Towns had an incredible game with 37 points. Meanwhile, the Nuggets did some serious damage to their playoff hopes with a loss to the Lakers. Denver sits in 10th place and Los Angeles finally got some revenge for all the trash talk with Jamal Murray.
Scores for Tuesday, March 13
All times Eastern
- Indiana Pacers 101, Philadelphia 76ers 98 (box score)
- Minnesota Timberwolves 116, Washington Wizards 111 (box score)
- Dallas Mavericks 110, New York Knicks 97 (box score)
- Oklahoma City Thunder 119, Atlanta Hawks 107 (box score)
- Toronto Raptors 116, Brooklyn Nets 102 (box score)
- L.A. Clippers 112, Chicago Bulls 106 (box score)
- New Orleans Pelicans 119, Charlotte Hornets 115 (box score)
- San Antonio Spurs 108, Orlando Magic 72 (box score)
- Utah Jazz 110, Detroit Pistons 79 (box score)
- Cleveland Cavaliers 129, Phoenix Suns 107 (box score)
- Los Angeles Lakers 112, Denver Nuggets 103 (box score)
Towns and the Wolves knock off the Wizards
The Wizards and Timberwolves play in different conferences, but this game still had big playoff implications. Each team is locked in a closely contested fight for playoff seeding. In the end, it was the Wolves who came out on top. A big part of this was the play of Karl-Anthony Towns. He scored 37 points and pulled down 10 rebounds.
The play that stole the game for the Wolves however came from Jeff Teague. He picked the Wizards' pocket and sealed it.
LeBron brings out the windmill
LeBron James did some mean stuff to Phoenix on Tuesday. Perhaps none of it was as mean as this windmill dunk.
Westbrook reaches 100 career triple-doubles
Russell Westbrook averaged a triple-double last season. He isn't going to do that by the end of this one, but he did reach the milestone of 100 career triple-doubles. He did so with 32 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds against the Hawks.
Thomas puts Jokic on skates
Smith Jr. brings out the windmill
Dennis Smith Jr. brought out a windmill dunk on a fast break. Insane athleticism like this is why he was in the All-Star slam dunk contest.
Ball chases down the Nuggets
Lonzo Ball fed off the energy inside the Lakers' arena for an incredible chase-down block.
LeBron makes an insane pass
LeBron James attempts and sees passes that no other passer would dare try. This ball he slung to Kyle Korver is a good example of that.
J.R. Smith has been moved to the bench for the Cavaliers. He's taking it in stride, but doesn't seem happy about the lack of communication in the process of it.
Nets' Russell goes nuts in the first quarter
D'Angelo Russell had an amazing shooting performance in the first quarter against the Raptors. He made seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points before going to the bench. He finished with 32 in a 14-point loss.
Embiid Euro steps to the rim
Joel Embiid showed off his incredible footwork on this Euro step to the rim. He had everybody fooled on this one.
Aldridge returns to lineup
LaMarcus Aldridge was back in the Spurs' lineup Tuesday after sitting out Monday's loss to Houston, and scored 24 points on 11-of-17 shooting in 26 minutes. He played 26 minutes in his initial return Saturday.
Randle brings the hammer
Julius Randle threw down a monstrous dunk despite having two Nuggets defenders in the paint. Great play by him.
Hornets forget about Davis
Somehow the Hornets forgot to put a man on Anthony Davis and that just gave him a wide open lane to throw down a dunk.
Collins throws down powerful putback
John Collins has two goals in life: to rebound the basketball and dunk the basketball. He did both of those things in this powerful slam.
Oubre Jr. throws one down
Kelly Oubre Jr. had an open lane to the rim and he turned that into a highlight smash dunk.
Embiid and Simmons run two-man game
Grant throws down a thunderous dunk
Jerami Grant got way up there and threw down an incredible dunk. Look at how far back he extends.
Walker finds Howard on the lob
- Kawhi Leonard (quad) will to the Spurs lineup Thursday night, after all.
- The Celtics whether Marcus Smart (thumb) will play again this season.
- Aaron Gordon (concussion) will not be available for the Magic on Tuesday night vs. the Spurs.
- Kyrie Irving (knee) and Jaylen Brown (concussion) will both sit out Wednesday.
- Al Horford is questionable for Wednesday due to illness.
- Jarrett Allen is out for Tuesday's game with a sore left foot.
- Dante Exum (shoulder) has been recalled from the G-League and could return from rehab in the near future.
- Cody Zeller is out Tuesday with knee soreness.
- Isaiah Taylor (ankle) will play Tuesday for the Hawks.
- Avery Bradley will reportedly miss the rest of the regular season after .
Curry could be back for the start of the playoffs
We have all the latest news from around the NBA on Saturday
This is not what Danny Ainge envisioned when he signed Gordon Hayward and traded for Irvin...
Irving has not played since March 11, and it appears he will miss Boston's first-round playoff...
People all across the country marched on Saturday for stricter gun regulations
Pop says while everyone wants Kawhi back, the team needs to act as if he won't return