NBA scores, highlights: James Harden, Rockets dominate Nuggets; Lakers beat Mavs to snap losing streak
There was a busy eight-game slate in the NBA on Monday night
The NBA season is nearing the halfway point, but there's no slowing down. On this Monday night in the association, there was a busy eight-game slate.
Early on, the Spurs extended their winning streak to five games with a win over the Pistons, while the surging Nets didn't have enough grit to beat the talented Celtics.
Then two of the hottest teams in the league squared off in Houston, with the Rockets handling the Nuggets at home. Plus, the Lakers snapped their three-game losing streak by beating Luka Doncic and the Mavericks.
In the late games, the struggling Knicks lost to the Trail Blazers, while the Magic were handed another loss on their West Coast road trip, this time to the Kings.
Here's everything you need to know about Monday night in the NBA, along with Tuesday's schedule.
NBA scores for Monday, Jan. 7
*All times Eastern
- San Antonio Spurs 119, Detroit Pistons 107 (Box Score)
- Boston Celtics 116, Brooklyn Nets 95 (Box Score)
- Milwaukee Bucks 114, Utah Jazz 102 (Box Score)
- New Orleans Pelicans 114, Memphis Grizzlies 95 (Box Score)
- Houston Rockets 125, Denver Nuggets 113 (Box Score)
- Los Angeles Lakers 107, Dallas Mavericks 97 (Box Score)
- Portland Trail Blazers 111, New York Knicks 101 (Box Score)
- Sacramento Kings 111, Orlando Magic 95 (Box Score)
NBA schedule for Tuesday, Jan. 8
*All times Eastern
- Indiana Pacers at Cleveland Cavaliers, 7 p.m. (GameTracker) -- Watch on fuboTV with NBA League Pass extension
- Washington Wizards at Philadelphia 76ers, 7 p.m. (GameTracker) -- Watch on fuboTV with NBA League Pass extension
- Atlanta Hawks at Toronto Raptors, 7:30 p.m. (GameTracker) -- Watch on fuboTV with NBA League Pass extension
- Denver Nuggets at Miami Heat, 7:30 p.m. (GameTracker) -- Watch on fuboTV with NBA League Pass extension
- Minnesota Timberwolves at Oklahoma City Thunder, 8 p.m. (GameTracker) -- TV: NBA TV Streaming: fubo TV (try it free)
- Sacramento Kings at Phoenix Suns, 9 p.m. (GameTracker) -- Watch on fuboTV with NBA League Pass extension
- Charlotte Hornets at Los Angeles Clippers, 10:30 p.m. (GameTracker) -- Watch on fuboTV with NBA League Pass extension
- New York Knicks at Golden State Warriors, 10:30 p.m. (GameTracker) -- TV: NBA TV Streaming: fubo TV (try it free)
Lakers snap losing streak
The Lakers have struggled recently without LeBron James, but they put their three-game losing streak to an end on Monday with a road win over the Dallas Mavericks. Brandon Ingram led the Lakers with 29 points and six assists, while Lonzo Ball added 21 points, seven rebounds and five assists.
Harden drops defender for four-point play
We've seen James Harden embarrass defenders before, but this was really something. Not only did Jamal Murray hit the deck after the behind-the-back move, but he also fouled Harden after recovering for the four-point play. He finished with another huge game of 32 points and 14 assists.
Giannis with the block and the slam
Giannis Antetokounmpo is one of the best two-way stars in the league, and he showed it on Monday night against the Utah Jazz. He blocked center Rudy Gobert on one end, and finished off the play with a dunk on the other.
Griffin with the vintage jam
Blake Griffin may not dunk like he used to, but you better not sleep on his athletic ability. The former Slam Dunk Contest champ threw one down on the baseline against the Spurs on Monday.
Kyrie back in action
After missing two games with an eye injury, Kyrie Irving returned to the Celtics lineup against the Nets, and wasted no time getting into the action.
Western Conference showdown in Houston
The Nuggets still have a claim to first place in the West, thanks to some fantastic play from Nikola Jokic and a five-game winning streak. But they'll face strong challenges from a number of contenders over the second half of the season, including James Harden and the Rockets, who have won 11 of 13 games. Harden is on a historic hot streak, putting up at least 35 points and five assists in 10 straight games. Can he keep it up on Monday night and get the Rockets a big win?
CBS Sports HQ Daily Newsletter
Get the best highlights and stories - yeah, just the good stuff handpicked by our team to start your day.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Cousins' Warriors debut highlights the seven-game NBA schedule on Friday night
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated Friday's Grizzlies vs. Celtics game 10,000...
SportsLine's advanced computer model simulated Friday's Wolves vs. Spurs game 10,000 times
The Wolves have been strong at home this season, both straight up and against the spread
A regularly updated look at the injuries that are causing the biggest stir across the NBA
Anthony, who hasn't played for the Rockets since Nov. 8, may soon be suiting up for a new...