Earlier this month Johnson indicated he might walk away from football, but the idea felt far-fetched -- after an offseason of mulling it over, surely Johnson would come back to a game he's dominated for so long.
It doesn't appear to be the case, with a source close to Johnson telling Schefter "He's pretty content with his decision."
"Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future," Johnson said in a statement earlier in January. "I would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future."
According to Schefter, Lions coach Jim Caldwell told him to take his time and not "rush" his decision.
Important to note: Caldwell told Calvin Johnson not to rush decision, to take time. Out of respect to Caldwell, Johnson agreed to do that.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 31, 2016
After a few weeks of thinking it over (or pretending to think it over?) Johnson has apparently made a final call.
Johnson, per Schefter, told Stephen Tulloch and Matthew Stafford about the decision during the year but didn't relay it to the organization until afterwards.
The 30-year-old (he would be 31 when the 2016 NFL season begins) is 43rd all time in catches, 27th all time in receiving yards and 22nd all time in touchdown catches.