2014 NFL mock draft: Blake Bortles fends off Clowney momentum
Blake Bortles? Staying at No. 1. Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater go quickly too. Quarterbacks are too valuable to underdraft in the NFL now.
Why can't I believe the idea that the Houston Texans will pass on a quarterback?
I just don't buy it no matter how good many of us think South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will be on the next level.
That's why I will keep Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles going in the No. 1 spot in next month's draft, despite the growing sentiment that the Texans might be leaning toward Clowney with the top pick. This is mock draft No. 9 for me, with three more to go. Will I change my mind down the road? Maybe. But the quarterback spot is way too valuable, and the Texans don't have one.
I also have three quarterbacks still going in the top 10, even though that is unlikely. That's the premium of the position. I don't buy the falling talk for all these guys. Quarterbacks are overdrafted, not underdrafted.
1. Houston Texans -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: Yes, I am stubborn to keep him here.
2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn: He could play right tackle or even guard for a year.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: He might go first, but if he doesn't the Jaguars would be dumb to pass him up.
4. Cleveland Browns -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: They would pair him with Josh Gordon for a dynamic 12 punch.
5. Oakland Raiders -- Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: They have to get a big-play receiver who can threaten down the field.
6. Atlanta Falcons -- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: He would give the new-look defense that bigtime pass rusher.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: People talk about the Jaguars needing to sell tickets. What about Tampa Bay?
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: He fits with what Norv Turner wants to do on offense.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: Their offense lacks that elite tight end to help take the pressure off outside. Ebron could do that.
10. Detroit Lions -- Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: They have to get better outside with their pass coverage.
11. Tennessee Titans -- Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: I still think they need to find an edge rusher, even if some say his stock is falling.
12. New York Giants -- Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M: You can never have enough good linemen as the Giants saw last season.
13. St. Louis Rams -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: Range, range and more range. They have to get better on the back end.
14. Chicago Bears -- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: I will keep him in this spot. It just fits.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: He is athletic and can step in when Ike Taylor is done and play some nickel right away.
16. Dallas Cowboys -- Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State: He would be a perfect fit in their defense. And they have a big hole inside on that line.
17. Baltimore Ravens -- Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan: They have problems on the right side. He would fix that.
18. New York Jets -- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State: They have to get some playmakers outside.
19. Miami Dolphins -- C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama: I will keep him here. They have to get more athletic at linebacker.
21. Green Bay Packers -- Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State: Where is the speed on that defense? Shazier has it.
22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: With Desean Jackson gone, they have to get speed outside.
24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: They need a young player outside with age creeping into the position.
25. San Diego Chargers -- Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame: They need to get a power player in the middle of their defense.
27. New Orleans Saints -- Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn: They have to get help for that pass rush.
28. Carolina Panthers -- Morgan Moses, T, Virginia: He can play left tackle as a rookie, which they badly need.
29. New England Patriots -- Ra'Shede Hageman, DT/DE, Minnesota: He has been compared to Richard Seymour, who they drafted in 2001.
30. San Francisco 49ers -- Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska: They have some concerns on the corner, and this kid is a big, physical player.
31. Denver Broncos -- Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU: They have to get more athletic at linebacker. He could help.
32. Seattle Seahawks -- Marqise Lee, WR, USC: Pete Carroll knows those USC kids and Lee would be a big help to the offense.
Pick Six Newsletter
Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
HBO and NFL Films revealed even more drama than we thought with the wide receiver position...
The former Cowboys standout might be a nice supplement to the current Browns wide receiver...
It's officially personality season in Denver
The Steelers quarterback might be in the concussion protocol after being hit in training c...
The former Raiders corner served five months of a year-long sentence after pleading guilty...
Pryor revealed to reporters that he broke his ankle earlier this offseason