2014 NFL Mock Draft: Cody Latimer lands in the first round
Cody Latimer's stock is rising at just the right time. The Indiana tools receiver rides late buzz and athletic ability into Round 1
This is the one of the last mock drafts I will do this year. Can I get a big amen?
It has seemed like the road to the actual draft would never end.
For this one, like last week, I included a trade for the top spot with the Atlanta Falcons moving up to get South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney . It was a move I thought would happen last week, and still might, but I am not as sold on it as I was 10 days ago.
Just call it a hunch.
For now, though, I will keep Atlanta moving up to get Clowney, with the Texans trading down to take Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles .
A week from now, as the draft comes closer, that could change.
One more mock to go, and that one is the one that will count.
1. Atlanta Falcons (trade with Houston Texans) -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: I will stay with this for now, but not as married to it as I was a week ago.
2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn: There are two bigtime players on both sides of the ball. He's the one on offense.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Khalil Mack , OLB, Buffalo: Pass rush. Pass rush. Pass rush. Would also consider Sammy Watkins .
4. Cleveland Browns -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: Will stay with Watkins in this spot this week.
5. Oakland Raiders -- Johnny Manziel , QB, Texas A&M: Figuring out the Raiders is tough to do, so I will go with the highlight player.
6. Houston Texans (From Atlanta) -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: With Clowney and Mack gone, they take the quarterback.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans , WR, Texas A&M: Vincent Jackson needs help. Evans is a bigplay receiver.
8. Minnesota Vikings -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: I will stick with the corner here. And I think Fuller could be the choice.
9. Buffalo Bills -- Jake Matthews , T, Texas A&M: They need a right tackle and this kid could make the move. The value of that position is rising.
10. Detroit Lions -- Justin Gilbert , CB, Oklahoma State: They have to get better outside. They opt for Gilbert over some others.
11. Tennessee Titans -- Anthony Barr , OLB, UCLA: It just makes sense for them to take an edge rusher.
12. New York Giants -- Eric Ebron , TE North Carolina: They need a threat in the middle of the field. When was the last great tight end they had?
13. St. Louis Rams -- Bradley Roby , CB, Ohio State: They need a third corner and they've shown that they will take players with character concerns. Roby had an incident last week.
14. Chicago Bears -- Aaron Donald , DT, Pittsburgh: This just fits. He would help a line inside that needs it.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Taylor Lewan , T, Michigan: The value here would be good for a Steelers team that needs line help.
16. Dallas Cowboys -- Ha Ha Clinton Dix, S, Alabama: Range and the ability to upgrade the back end would be key in drafting him.
17. Baltimore Ravens -- Zach Martin, GT, Notre Dame: Their line struggled last season and he could offer some versatility.
18. New York Jets -- Darqueze Dennard , CB, Michigan State: Corner help is needed in the worst way. He would give them some.
19. Miami Dolphins -- C.J. Mosley , LB, Alabama: I love the idea of them passing on an offensive lineman to upgrade their speed at linebacker.
20. Arizona Cardinals -- Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville: He's a big thumper in the secondary, which they could use.
21. Green Bay Packers -- Ryan Shazier , LB, Ohio State: They have to get faster at linebacker. Shazier can fly.
22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU: I will keep him here this week. He has the tools to be a good one in their offense.
23. Kansas City Chiefs -- Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois: He would team with Eric Berry to give them a heck of a combination.
24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Jason Verrett , CB, TCU: Corner help is a must in this draft. He can also play inside in the nickel.
25. San Diego Chargers -- Louis Nix , NT, Notre Dame: He's a big, power player, and they lack that inside.
26. Cleveland -- Teddy Bridgewater , QB, Louisville: Would they be happy if he's still on the board here? You bet.
27. New Orleans Saints -- Brandin Cooks , WR, Oregon State: They really lack speed outside. He would be able to provide that.
28. Carolina Panthers -- Morgan Moses , T, Virginia: Getting a left tackle is a must for the Panthers. Moses can fill that role.
29. New England Patriots -- Joel Bitonio, GT, Nevada: He could start at guard, but might be able to play tackle down the road.
30. San Francisco 49ers -- Marqise Lee , WR, USC: Why his stock is dropping is a mystery. He has too much talent and would be a steal for the 49ers.
31. Denver Broncos -- Kyle Van Noy , OLB, BYU: He's a good football player who shows up on tape. John Elway is a tape fiend, so it makes sense.
32. Seattle Seahawks -- Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana: He might not be here when they pick, but he would be a nice addition if he is around.
The Chargers might have just found a new backup quarterback
One NFL owner says he'd have 'no hesitation' signing Colin Kaepernick
The Cowboys receiver made a young boy's birthday wish come true
The new Packers tight end had to find a place to sleep after being locked out of his camp...
Lucky Whitehead says he had an awkward face-to-face meeting with Jason Garrett
The Eagles said goodbye to several players on Wednesday