The NFL has plenty of electric young quarterbacks inn the league in Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, securing a bright future for the game's signal callers. The previous generation of quarterbacks isn't ready to fade into the sunset just yet.
This year's postseason is the first time five quarterbacks age 37 or older will start a playoff game in NFL history, a product of the new 14-team playoff system that allows more opportunities for franchises to qualify for the postseason. That still doesn't take away how well the game's oldest quarterbacks performed in 2020.
Here are the five quarterbacks age 37 or older starting in the playoffs:
- Tom Brady (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) -- 43 years, 158 days
- Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints) -- 41 years, 359 day
- Philip Rivers (Indianapolis Colts) -- 39 years, 31 days
- Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh Steelers) -- 38 years, 312 days
- Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers) -- 37 years, 37 days
Alex Smith isn't far behind the "old guard" on this list, as the Washington Football Team quarterback is 36 years and 246 days old. These are all the quarterbacks over the age of 35 in the postseason, which is a major difference from the rest of the playoff field. Let's take a look at the age of the rest of the projected starting quarterbacks in the playoffs:
- Ryan Tannehill (Tennessee Titans) -- 32 years, 165 days
- Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks) -- 32 years, 40 days
- Mitchell Trubisky (Chicago Bears) -- 26 years, 141 days
- Jared Goff (Los Angeles Rams) -- 26 years, 86 days
- Baker Mayfield (Cleveland Browns) -- 25 years, 269 days
- Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City Chiefs) -- 25 years, 113 days
- Josh Allen (Buffalo Bills) -- 24 years, 232 days
- Lamar Jackson (Baltimore Ravens) -- 24 years, 1 day
If John Wolford starts for the Rams (Goff is questionable with a thumb injury), he'll be the second-youngest quarterback to start in these playoffs. Wolford is 25 years, 84 days old.
Brady is the oldest quarterback to win a playoff game at 41 years and 184 days old (Super Bowl LIII) and he'll be the oldest quarterback to start a playoff game Saturday. Jackson is the youngest quarterback to start a playoff game at 21 years and 364 days old. Michael Vick is the youngest quarterback to win a playoff game at 22 years and 192 days old.