Attorney of restaurant bouncer says Jones-Drew caught on video

Maurice Jones-Drew has not been charged by police. (Getty Images)
Maurice Jones-Drew has not been charged by police. (Getty Images)

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew was accused during the Memorial Day weekend of punching a security guard at a restaurant in St. Augustine, Fla., though police later said that Jones-Drew had not been charged with battery.

Jones-Drew’s agent, Adisa Bakari, said Jones-Drew “was not involved in any verbal or physical altercation whatsoever,” but the attorney for the bouncer disagrees. And Gregory Anderson said there’s video proof that Jones-Drew participated in the incident and that his client, Kasim Howard, was “viciously attacked and severely injured.”

Here’s the statement that Anderson sent to Jacksonville's Florida Times-Union:

“This past Sunday, May 26 during Reggae Sunday at the Conch House Marina Resort, Jacksonville Jaguars [player] Maurice Jones-Drew viciously attacked and severely injured Conch House’s security officer, Kasim Howard, 31, of St. Augustine. At the time Mr. Jones-Drew attacked him, Mr. Howard was attempting to protect several female patrons from harassment by members of Mr. Jones-Drew’s entourage. Prior to the attack, Mr. Howard never saw, spoke with, let alone confronted Mr. Jones-Drew. Conch House security video captures Mr. Jones-Drew rapidly approaching Mr. Howard from the back-left side and sucker punching him in the jaw. As a result of this attack, Mr. Howard suffered a dislocated jaw and spinal injuries. He was hospitalized, later released and is recovering at home.

“The current attempts by some to characterize this as a ‘scuffle’ are misleading and unsupported by any evidence. Any fair-minded person watching the video has to conclude that Mr. Jones-Drew initiated an unprovoked attack on Mr. Howard and then literally ran away from the scene. The videos, in addition to virtually all eyewitness accounts, unequivocally prove that Mr. Jones-Drew attacked the security officer without provocation. We are evaluating the remedies available to Mr. Howard, who conducted himself professionally. Mr. Jones-Drew’s conduct was deplorable and certainly unbecoming a professional athlete. Those attempting to sanitize this incident are either uninformed or motivated by reasons other than justice.”

After the incident, the St. Augustine police department released a statement stating Jones-Drew had not been charged with a crime and that he fully cooperated with the investigation.

But if there really is a video showing Jones-Drew directly involved in the incident, I imagine we’ll be hearing plenty more about it.

Show Comments Hide Comments
Our Latest Stories