Earlier this week, it was reported that Indianapolis Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton suffered an unspecified neck injury. Head coach Frank Reich described it as a "disc issue," according to NFL.com, and general manager Chris Ballard informed reporters Wednesday that Hilton underwent surgery to correct the issue. Hilton will move to injured reserve soon, meaning he'll miss a minimum of three games, but should be back, "sooner than later," according to Stephen Holder of The Athletic.
While going under the knife is not a positive update per se, the fact that Hilton's injury is not season-ending and that he will return soon is. With the uncertainty surrounding the 31-year-old's injury, it looked like it could be just the latest instance of misfortune the Colts have had to deal with when it comes to injuries this preseason.
Hilton, who has spent his entire nine-year career with the Colts, signed a one-year deal this offseason to stay in Indy. The four-time Pro Bowler said earlier this offseason that he was seconds away from signing with the Baltimore Ravens before the Colts pulled through.
"That was the [tweet] that I was almost gone," Hilton told Pat McAfee on "The Pat McAfee Show." "Five seconds away, man. That was it. I've been talking to [Baltimore] the whole time. [Indianapolis] came in and made a great push at the end and they wanted to get it done."
Hilton caught 56 passes for 762 yards and five touchdowns for the Colts last year in 15 games. Injuries have certainly affected him over the past three years, but he's the veteran presence in the wide receivers room and has shown he still has tread left on the tires.
Can Carson Wentz be the Colts' franchise quarterback for years to come? Download the CBS Sports app to follow the 2021 season every step of the way in Indy. If you already have the CBS Sports app, favorite the Colts right now so you get every piece of news and analysis out of Indianapolis.