Cowboys QB Tony Romo throws for 506 yards in loss to Broncos
For 58 minutes, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was the best quarterback on the field. He had out-Peyton Manning-ed Peyton Manning, throwing for more than 500 yards.
For 58 minutes, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was the best quarterback on the field. He had out-Peyton Manning-ed Peyton Manning, completing 25 of 35 passes for 506 yards and 5 touchdowns. But with the score tied 48-48 and the Cowboys facing a 2nd and 16 from their own 14-yard line, Romo did what his critics always expect him to do with the game on the line: He threw an interception.
It was Romo's first pick since the first quarter of Week 1, and just his second on the season. But his timing couldn't have been worse. Manning is unquestionably the NFL's best quarterback, and he ended the day with 414 yards passing yards (to go along with 4 touchdown passes -- and for the first time in five years -- a rushing TD). Give him a short field with 1:57 to go and you can go ahead and get the tombstone engraved.
Romo, meanwhile, becomes just the 15th player in history to surpass the 500-yard mark but we're guessing he'd trade his place on a pretty exclusive list for a much-needed win. For now, Norm Van Brocklin's 62-year-old record remains safe.
NFL single-game passing yards leaders (via Pro-Football-Reference.com)
1. Norm Van Brocklin, 554 yards, LA Rams vs. New York Yanks, September 28, 1951
2. Matt Schaub, 527 yards, Houston Texans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, November 18, 2012
3. Warren Moon, 527 yards, Houston Oilers vs. Kansas City Chiefs, December 16, 1990
4. Boomer Esiason, 522 yards, Houston Oilers vs. Kansas City Chiefs, December 16, 1990
5. Dan Marino, 522 yards, Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets, October 23, 1988
6. Matthew Stafford, 520 yards, Detroit Lions vs. Green Bay Packers, January 1, 2012
7. Tom Brady , 517 yards, New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins, September 12, 2011
8. Phil Simms, 513 yards, New York Giants vs. Cincinnati Bengals, October 13, 1985
9. Eli Manning, 510 yards, New York Giants vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, September 16, 2012
10. Drew Brees, 510 yards, New Orleans Saints vs. Cincinnati Bengals, November 19, 2006
11. Vince Ferragamo, 509 yards, Los Angeles Rams vs. Chicago Bears, December 26, 1982
12. Tony Romo, 506 yards, Denver Broncos vs. Dallas Cowboys, October 6, 2013
13. Y.A. Tittle, 505 yards, New York Giants vs. Washington Redskins, October 28, 1962
14. Elvis Grbac, 504 yards, Kansas City Chiefs vs. Oakland Raiders, November 5, 2000
15. Ben Roethlisberger, 503 yards, Steelers vs. Packers, December 20, 2009
Pick Six Newsletter
Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Shuttered amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the XFL may not be dead just yet
This despite suggestions that in-person minicamps could still be possible in June
Up to 230 cars will be allowed inside the complex to watch classic movies and old Dolphins...
The lineman clears the air on a potential return for the players
Singletary last coached in the NFL in 2016
Check out how the interior of the $2 billion stadium is shaping up
Here's the perfect way to keep track of all your schedule leaks and updates in one place
CBS Sports is bringing you live updates and analysis as the 2020 NFL Draft wraps up on Saturday
Live scores, highlights and updates from the Jaguars vs. Colts football game