Johnny Manziel looks good and is ready for a comeback, according to ex-teammate
Travis Benjamin talked to the former first-round pick within the last month
And it lends a little bit of credence to Chargers wideout Travis Benjamin, who was a teammate of Manziel's in Cleveland, saying on NFL Network that he recently saw the former first-round pick and a comeback could be in the cards.
"I saw Johnny about a month ago with this [physical therapy] guy we go to in San Diego," Benjamin said. "He looked good, he said he's ready to come back. Hopefully he gets a shot at a team and he continues to humble himself and play good."
Asked by Andrew Siciliano on "Up to the Minute" why a team should take a chance on Manziel, Benjamin said that team would get a quarterback who is hungry to take advantage of his second chance.
"You're going to have a guy that comes in ready to prove himself, ready to get his second chance at what he does best," Benjamin said.
Benjamin was on the receiving end of most of the few highlights of Manziel's professional career, including a Week 1 touchdown pass back in 2015 when Manziel came off the bench in relief of an injured Josh McCown.
After that 54-yard bomb,the following week, then promptly , the latter truly reminding everyone of the Manziel that caught the nation by storm in college.
The comeback chatter for Manziel began when. We -- literally myself and John Breech -- saw Manziel outside of Houston at an autograph signing, .
Manziel has been embroiled in controversy for a while now, both on and off the field. Breech kept a running list of things Manziel did prior to his release, and it is astounding:
- He went to a club in Los Angeles.
- He went to another club in L.A. (He goes to a lot of clubs.)
- He hired a new agent because his old one fired him.
- He went to a club in Miami.
- He went to a Chris Brown concert in Vegas.
- He went to a club in Vegas.
- He went to another club in L.A.
- He got a tattoo.
- He spent some time with Justin Bieber.
- He did $32,000 in damage to a $4.5 million house.
- His new agent fired him and urged him to get treatment.
- He was indicted for misdemeanor assault.
- He was the passenger in a hit-and-run.
- He watched the NFL Draft at a bar.
- He went to Coachella with Josh Gordon.
- He looked surprisingly thin at a Vegas pool party.
- He partied with Leonardo DiCaprio.
- He skipped a Hamptons party/helicopter ride and "allegedly evaded payment of car accident costs."
- He got another tattoo.
- He was allegedly a passenger in another hit-and-run.
- He went to Cabo and stayed in a $7.5 million Mexican rental home.
He was NFL so he'd be available to play immediately if signed. Since the end of the season and, at one point, was sobering up to get ready for the coming football season., but the
Manziel alsohe was involved in with his ex-girlfriend.
The deck is cleared, so to speak, for a Manziel return. There are almost certainly teams who will be intrigued to see where he's at from a physical and mental standpoint. And there will certainly be people who wonder why people would have interest in Manziel when a guy like Colin Kaepernick remains unsigned. Kaepernick as a free agent and Manziel on a roster would be ... something.
Which is a good reminder not to get too far ahead of ourselves. Manziel has been out of football for over a full season. He isn't just going to waltz back into an NFL building, and there aren't really that many opportunities for any quarterback to simply slide in and find work, much less a former first-round pick who washed out of football and is trying to find a second chance.
Pick Six Newsletter
Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
It could be a long season for the Raiders and the Broncos
The Cardinals defensive lineman was arrested on June 6
Gerald McCoy's relationship with the Buccaneers definitely didn't end on a high note
Nick Caserio is reportedly restless to take the next step after 19 years with the Patriots
Roberts might need to get healthy before latching on with a new team
Tom Brady, Dak Prescott and Julio Jones top list of players headed for new deals soon