Mock draft No. 9: Jets to address pass rush, bolster offensive line
By pulling the trigger on the Darrelle Revis trade with the Buccaneers, the Jets can address a weak pass rush and bolster their offensive line.
1. Kansas City Chiefs -- Luke Joeckel , OT, Texas A&M: The Chiefs could make this easy and get a deal done before the draft. Very reliable sources told me don’t be surprised if it’s Eric Fisher at the top spot. I talked with Joeckel this week and he said he had no idea if the Chiefs were going to take him.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan: If the Jags stay in this spot and stay true to their board they will take Joeckel or Fisher. A left tackle that can play for 10 years is always a solid pick. They will get some action to move down.
|More on NFL Draft|
|More NFL coverage|
3. Oakland Raiders -- Sharrif Floyd , DT, Florida: If the Jags pass on the second left tackle the Raiders have a decision to make. Should they take the left tackle, move down or just take Floyd. At least three teams right below them need a left tackle and the Raiders need more picks.
4. Philadelphia Eagles -- Dion Jordan , OLB, Oregon: The Eagles are building a 3-4 defense and need an OLB with pass rush skills. Jordan played for Chip Kelly. If they take Jordan I would expect them to reenter the first round late and grab a QB. Either Geno Smith or EJ Manuel could be the choice.
5. Detroit Lions -- Lane Johnson , OT, Oklahoma: The Lions may luck out and have Johnson fall right to them or they could jump up for Fisher. If all else fails, they can take DE Ziggy Ansah at this spot.
6. Cleveland Browns -- Dee Milliner , CB, Alabama: Cleveland could get a call to move down if one of the three left tackles happened to still be on the board. If not, a starting corner is a solid pick.
7. Arizona Cardinals -- Chance Warmack , OG, Alabama: Arizona needs to protect Carson Palmer with head coach Bruce Ariens' desire to throw the ball 35-40 times a game. Warmack is not letting anyone rush inside plus he can improve the run game. Arizona would take a left tackle if one was still available.
8. Buffalo Bills -- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia: The popular notion is that Ryan Nassib is the Bills pick, but after watching Nassib at the Senior Bowl for a week, Smith is a better prospect. If they wait until the second round and take Nassib that’s a better plan. The Bills better get a QB the fans can get excited about in this draft.
9. NY New York Jets -- Barkevious Mingo , OLB, LSU: Mingo gives them a pass rusher for their 3-4 defense. It’s clear the Jets have to manufacture pass rush with pressure calls which eventually gets them in trouble.
10. Tennessee Titans -- Star Lotulelei , DT, Utah: Star can run sideline to sideline, pressure the QB, collapse a pocket and stop the run game.
11. San Diego Chargers -- Jonathan Cooper , OG, North Carolina: The Chargers need offensive line help and this is the last first round graded player. Someone might reach for Menilik Watson but Cooper is ready now.
12. Miami Dolphins -- Xavier Rhodes , CB, Florida State: I was told by one secondary coach that Rhodes is the top corner on their board. If he’s still available when Miami picks they solve the loss of Sean Smith .
13. NY Jets (via trade with Tampa Bay) -- DJ Fluker, RT, Alabama: Some will argue this pick but unless the Jets re-establish the line of scrimmage this team isn’t going anywhere.
14. Carolina Panthers -- Sheldon Richardson , DT, Missouri: The Panthers need help on the inside of the defensive line and Richardson is the best on the board with Lotulelei gone.
15. New Orleans Saints -- Jarvis Jones , OLB, Georgia: The Saints are building a 3-4 defense and Jones is the most accomplished OLB in the draft. He has the nasty attitude Rob Ryan will love.
16. Saint Louis St. Louis Rams -- Tavon Austin , WR, West Virginia: The Rams have two picks in the first round and have to decide when to take the wide receiver and when to take the safety. No matter which way they go the Steelers may react by taking the other player.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Kenny Vaccaro , S, Texas: The Steelers could grab a wide receiver but Vaccaro is a long term answer to the age and injury issues at safety. LeBeau will figure out how to use all three safeties (Polamalu, Clark, Vaccaro) with a big nickel package.
18. Dallas Cowboys -- Sylvester Williams , DT, North Carolina: The Jet trade with Tampa took Fluker off the board in this mock draft. The new 4-3 defense needs a solid defensive tackle to build the defense. When the Bucs had Warren Sapp they still took Booger McFarland to play the nose until Sapp left and McFarland moved over.
19. NY New York Giants -- Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU: The Giants constantly reload their pass rush with first round players. If Ansah is gone there’s always Werner.
20. Chicago Bears -- Alec Ogeltree, LB, Georgia: The Bears may talk about a wide receiver but Ogeltree is the best linebacker on the board and will eventually make the transition away from Lance Briggs in a few years easy. For the time being the Bears will have a great set of backers.
21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Eddie Lacy , RB, Alabama: Not many think Lacy is going in the first round but last year three running backs did go in the first round and played well. The Bengals will have a dangerous offense with Lacy behind Dalton. If Fluker is still on the board they could easily take him and come back for a back with the next pick.
22. Saint Louis Rams -- Eric Reid , S, LSU: Vaccaro is gone in this mock draft but Reid is an excellent second choice. He has range, ball skills and likes contact.
23. Minnesota Vikings -- Desmond Trufant , CB, Washington: The Vikings need a corner and with Sylvester Williams already gone they pass on a DT.
24. Indianapolis Colts -- Bjoern Werner , DE, Florida State: The Colts always seem to need defensive line help. Werner is big enough to handle the two gap responsibilities and quick enough to be a solid pass rusher.
25. Minnesota Vikings -- Cordarrelle Patterson , WR, Tennessee: Greg Jennings and Cordarrelle Patterson gives the Vikings the fire power in the passing game. Patterson is raw but very talented.
26. Green Bay Packers -- Matt Elam , S, Florida: Green Bay needs a safety that has a presence with Charles Woodson gone. Elam is a physical player that may be able to handle some of Woodson’s slot pressure package.
27. Houston Texans -- DeAndre Hopkins , WR, Clemson: Hopkins had 18 touchdown receptions last year and the Texans don’t get enough of that production from their receivers. Hopkins just doesn’t drop balls and should have a very productive year opposite Andre Johnson .
28. Denver Broncos -- Damontre Moore , DE, Texas A&M: You don’t see his name in many mock drafts but he’s 20 years old with pass rush production. He has natural bend to get past tackles and could be reunited with his college teammate, Von Miller .
29. New England Patriots -- Johnthan Banks , CB, Mississippi State: The Patriots might like Bank’s teammate Darius Slay which is a good choice. Banks is a tall play maker who has a knack for interceptions.
30. Atlanta Falcons -- Tyler Eifert , TE, Notre Dame: This is Tony Gonzalez ’s last year and Eifert will learn all the tricks of the trade this year. In 2013 the Falcons could have a very dangerous 2 tight end package.
31. San Francisco 49ers -- Jesse Williams , DT, Alabama: Dashon Goldson is gone and so are draft picks Vaccaro, Reid and Elam. Cyprien really helped himself at the Senior Bowl and could get consideration. It wouldn’t surprise me if the massive defensive tackle from Australia who runs sub 5.0 at 325 lbs. is the choice.
32. Baltimore Ravens -- Kevin Minter , LB, LSU: The Ravens could consider Manti Te’o but Minter is better against the pass and a better guy to take on guards. In the Ravens scheme Minter has a better chance to be a three down player.
Pete Prisco shares 10 interesting things to watch in Week 3 of the NFL season
Everything you need to know for Week 3 of the 2017 NFL season is here
The Rams picked up their first win at Levi's Stadium in three years
The Jaguars are taking some cool cleats with them to England
Tickets are dirt cheap and very much still available for the TNF matchup
The Lions are being recognized after beating two popular preseason picks to make the playo...