NFL training camp roundup: Broncos lose C Koppen for season
Here's a roundup of all the good -- and bad -- stuff that happened around the NFL on Sunday.
There was good news and bad news on Sunday.
First, the good news: there were fewer season-ending injuries on Sunday than there were on Saturday and Friday combined.
The team confirmed that Koppen will miss the 2013 season after tearing the ACL in his left knee during a 9-on-7 drill in practice. With Koppen out, the Broncos are now down to their fourth-string center -- Manny Ramirez. The Broncos had already lost backup centers J.D. Walton and C.J. Davis to injury.
Dolphins wide receiver Armon Binns may have also suffered a torn ACL on Sunday, according to the Miami Herald.
Things have gotten so bad that this meme now exists on the internet.
Here's a roundup of the most interesting news and notes from Sunday, July 28.
- The practice day ended early for Dolphins wide receiver Armon Binns. Binns injured his knee during a one-on-one drill and sat out the rest of practice, according to the Miami Herald. The Herald is also reporting that Binns tore his ACL and MCL and is done for the season.
- Binns wasn't the only wide receiver who left practice early on Sunday. Raiders receiver Jacoby Ford was also injured and unable to finish practice, according to the Contra Costa Times. Or Ford just may have been too tired to practice after celebrating his birthday on Saturday.
- The Chris Ivory trade isn't working out so well for the Jets right now. Ivory missed another day of practice with a sore hamstring. Coach Rex Ryan said he wants Ivory near 100 percent before he'll put him on the field.
- A hamstring also caused Browns running back Montario Hardesty to miss practice. Coach Rob Chudzinski told the Akron Beacon Journal that Hardesty is day-to-day.
When you're in the media, you're contractually obligated to mention Tim Tebow's name as often as possible, so lets get this started. Tebow did something in practice today that nobody thought was possible: he threw a beautiful deep pass. Sure, there was no defense, but this is news because it's news any time Tebow completes a pass.
Tim Tebow just threw a beautiful bomb... No defense. But still a great throw on the run— Jeremy Dawson (@JDawson_NFL) July 28, 2013
If you're not a Tebow fan and you also happen to be looking for a new favorite actor, you may want to go with Robert Duvall. Duvall was at New England's practice on Sunday and got a chance to meet Tebow and Tom Brady. Both quarterbacks stuck out their hands to greet Duvall, guess who Duvall shook hands with first? Not Tebow. Even Tebow seems stunned by that.
J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS
No more Tebow talk, but we are going to talk about Tebow's old team: the Jets. General manager John Idzik said on Saturday that he's going to play a 'big role' in deciding who the Jets starting quarterback is. On Sunday, Rex Ryan got a chance to respond and he insisted he's not losing any power because choosing a starting quarterback has always been a team decision.
Rex on who has final say on Jets' starting QB: "At no time is it a one-man show. It's always a team decision. That's how it's always been."— New York Jets (@nyjets) July 28, 2013
Speaking of the Jets quarterback situation, Geno Smith took plenty of first team reps on Sunday. Smith completed 4-of-6 passes during practice, including a 50-yarder to Stephen Hill, according to the New York Daily News.
Money, money, money, money, MONEY
- You remember Tarell Brown -- he's the guy that lost out on $2 million because he didn't workout with his team during the offseason. 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was asked about the situation on Sunday and he said he thinks "there's a solution there." He didn't say what that solution might be, but he's smart -- he does quote Shakespeare -- so lets assume he'll come up with something beneficial to everyone involved.
- If you're wondering if Ben Roethlisberger is jealous that every quarterback in the NFL seems to be making more money than him, he's not. Roethlisberger told USA Today on Sunday that he's not jealous and that he supports his fellow quarterbacks, "Congratulations to them. Good for them," he said about the quarterbacks that signed contract extension in the offseason.
Hard Knock life
- New Bengals linebacker James Harrison hates cameras and he really hates Hard Knocks cameras. Harrison told the Cincinnati Enquirer that the cameras are a "Pain in the A double S."
- Staying with the Bengals, wide receiver Marvin Jones plans on drowning everyone in his talent this year. That's how you interpret this tweet to, right?
Asked Marvin Jones what kind of splash he wants to make this year: "A huge splash. A tidal wave."— Joe Danneman (@FOX19Joe) July 28, 2013
- You may remember Andre Smith -- or you might not because he hasn't practiced since signing an extension with the Bengals in April. Well, he might actually participate in a practice this week because he's finally been cleared to play, at least that's what he tweeted on Sunday.
Fights this year seem to be limited to the AFC South. On Saturday it was the Tennessee Titans who got into it, on Sunday, it was the Texans. You can see a short video of the not-to-violent scuffle here.
Chip Kelly's only been an NFL coach for less than seven months, but he's already inviting famous people to training camp. On Sunday, Miami Heat coach Erik Spolestra made an appearance at Lincoln Financial Field.
Fan of the Day
Finally, we're going to end with our Fan of the Day. There won't be a fan of the day every day, but there will be any time a fan shows up to training camp in full pads, wearing a helmet.
Some fans take camp very seriously. pic.twitter.com/3eG1TTx8OH— Bryan Brennan (@bryguyboxing) July 28, 2013
The Cowboys move to 8-6 and are still in the playoff race with two regular-season games to...
The Steelers lost to the Patriots in controversial fashion after the 'Calvin Johnson Rule'...
The Raiders lost on a bizarre final offensive play
Here are the Week 15 grades for every team that played Sunday
The Cowboys' game-winning drive was extended by the craziest first-down measurement we've...
The Steelers quarterback explains what happened on the play that sealed the Patriots' stunning...